Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
I was just trying to show the reliability of a rotary motor by showing that both are far from reliable.:shrug:
not true at all. as said by others, rotaries can be just as reliable as a pushrod. the problem is people over rev them, dont tune them properly, womp on em when they are cold, you name it, people do it. there are plenty n/a first gens rx7s running over 200K miles just like any other motor. you just have to take care of em

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
for one, you HAVE to keep an eye on the oil level in a rotary as it will eat through it. also the warm up is a big deal that can lead to premature failure of the engine. rotary is still a new technology when compared to how long the piston engine has had to develop.
i have heard lots about those Yamaha engines, and very few are good ones...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
rotary engines respond better to high psi and constant racing because they just spin in a circle instead of move up and down. of course, as with any engine, if not tuned properly there will be problems. many FDs have over 400 horsepower easily. the main problem with those was the twin turbos that broke.

as far as the rx8, it has the warm up problem like other rotary engine cars, but thats not a problem for a weekend car or track car where you want the power reliably because you can avoidthat situation. also, many rx8s, especially autos, have problems because they aren't driven in high enough rpms and there is build up in the engine that is cleared out in high rpms.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
the main problem with those was the twin turbos that broke.
yea, ive heard of the vacuum lines that operate the 2nd turbo crack and don't work so most people opt for a bigger single turbo

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You've never seen a big ls1 swapped into a miata? I saw one a few years back... insane...

Oh ive seen all that, whatever v8's in the miata whether its ford or chevy.. but i think theres been a rotary miata before too. correct me if im wrong

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Oh ive seen all that, whatever v8's in the miata whether its ford or chevy.. but i think theres been a rotary miata before too. correct me if im wrong
I think I've heard of one before, but never seen it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
there's a kit to put a vette engine in a solstice. i saw it in a magazine. its actually cheap considering what you get. I think it was $7k, including engine and all.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
They make kits like that for the Focus too. RWD swap and a big V8:) THough both kits are far from Bolt-on. Most I've seen still require extensive fabrication in order to work.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
They make kits like that for the Focus too. RWD swap and a big V8:) THough both kits are far from Bolt-on. Most I've seen still require extensive fabrication in order to work.
there was a car and driver or something of the like. magazine had an article. they put ford up to the test of making a car to compete with a ferrari enzo or a supercar similiar and they ended up with some all aluminum big block v8 with some trick ass suspension/brake system that ended up practically eating or matching the supercar at all the tests

EDIT: they did it in a ford fuckass.. err focus

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I find all this malarky about the Renesis quite entertaining.

if it's SUCH a different engine, why is it still tagged as 13B, and why are the older engines forward-compatible with Renesis parts?

Mazda NZ actually specify that for rotary builds, Renesis parts are a good option...

Same dog, different name, improvements, and thorough marketing. To call it completely different is to say that the FE-DOHC is a totally new and foreign design to the F8/FE/F2.

As for crazy Mazda swaps, there's a guy in Hamilton NZ who's swapping a Subaru 2.5 Turbo powerplant and drivetrain from a Legacy GT into his 1gen MX6...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
^^^i might be off on this, but wasn't it something to do with the ports on the engine? i know it wasn't really a whole lot different than the 13B, just minor changes and more tuning.

off subject, but theres a guy in town doing an LS1 swap into his 240sx. i haven't really seen many swaps into Mazdas here in town tho

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
there was a car and driver or something of the like. magazine had an article. they put ford up to the test of making a car to compete with a ferrari enzo or a supercar similiar and they ended up with some all aluminum big block v8 with some trick ass suspension/brake system that ended up practically eating or matching the supercar at all the tests

EDIT: they did it in a ford [fizzle]ass.. err focus
you mean besides the Ford GT? because an Enzo couldn't shake one of those. Enzos aren't very fast, just rare. Like most Ferraris. they have pretty good handling but not the best and in a straight line they are slow for price. The F60 (Enzo) wasn't any faster than the F50 and personally I like the looks of the F50 more.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
you mean besides the Ford GT? because an Enzo couldn't shake one of those. Enzos aren't very fast, just rare. Like most Ferraris. they have pretty good handling but not the best and in a straight line they are slow for price. The F60 (Enzo) wasn't any faster than the F50 and personally I like the looks of the F50 more.
I wouldn't say a car that has 660hp and weighs in a hair over 3k lbs not fast. The enzo beat the GT in speed in every 10mph increment with the final 0-100 being 11.0sec enzo, 11.7sec GT.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
thats why i said couldn't shake, not couldn't beat. it would be ahead, but when the driver in the enzo looks behind him after slowing down for a turn the GT would be behind him.

and no i didnt read it in Car and Driver those people are paid to make one car rated better than another.

people tend to think Enzos are better than they are. there is a good amount of cars that are faster.

·
Registered
993 Posts
21 - 40 of 67 Posts