Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I got this issue with my 6. I got it a month ago its a 93' ATX LS. When I get over the second gear it cause the car to jerk and it drops down back to one. When I floor it gets from 3 to 4 and jerks again. Bascially almost every shift it changes hard and drops and switches again.

Anyone know a way to fix this? I'm not sure what is cuasing it.
I know its an ATX but i'm pretty sue this problem a generation ago is solvable now.

help wanted thx.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
well three things:

1) replace the distributor and see if it helps.
2) If not, then your tarnny might be going bye-bye!!!
3) to delay #2 as long as possible, buy an tranny cooler and get it installed.

The ATX tranny on the mx6 sucks to be completely honest. try to make it last as long as you can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone back this?

I just want to be sure I would like others to respond. Alot of ppl say this car cot them alot of money but I wanna do the right thing before I pay for doing the wrong thing.

Those the car even come with an intercooler? So I should get one and install it?

Is the tranny really that much of a problem ? What are other possible solutions?

Anyone recommend me allowing Mazda to look @ the car? It would cost me $80 bucks for them to analye it.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Re: Can anyone back this?

miamijones6 said:

Those the car even come with an intercooler? So I should get one and install it?
No it doesn't becuase intercoolers are usually used to cool charged air on a turbocharged car. Unless you have a turbocharged car, you don't need an intercooler.

Is the tranny really that much of a problem ? What are other possible solutions?
The automatic transmissons on these cars are notorious to failure. Heat kills it. The tranny cooler will help prolong it's life since the stock unit doesn't cool that well. Other solutions include rebuilding or replacing the transmission. I would try getting the system flushed and installing an external transmission cooler. An tranny filter would help keep the fluid free from clutch pack material, since you can't change the other filter without dropping the tranny pan.

Anyone recommend me allowing Mazda to look @ the car? It would cost me $80 bucks for them to analye it.
If the overdrive/hold light isn't flashing, then there is nothing wrong with the electrical part of the tranny. They will probably just drive it around and say you need to replace your tranny.

Because it is shifting harder, you may have to replace some motor mounts. Also, check you axles, they like to break when the tranny is having problems. Good luck.

Bryan

·
Registered
357 Posts
if its shifting hard now, its only a slippery slope til its death...

good luck... don'e replace an AUTOMATIC... its a crappy ford transmission that still has problems to THIS DAY!! switch over to the Mazda built (and exceedingly more reliable) MANUAL tranny... that's what i'm doing... my atx is slipping, but its $1,000 cheaper to swap than to replace.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Death of an ATX so soon...?

Anyone else have an ATX? I know many have had there ATX no matter how bad. Please I need some advice about this. How have you maintained your ATX MX6 so long?

Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey...how much does one of those tranny cooler dealy's cost?

-Ashley

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
JackAsh said:
Hey...how much does one of those tranny cooler dealy's cost?

-Ashley
$40-80

ive got an atx. to maintain it, get a cooler and change your fluid. and make sure the car is at a complete stop before shifting into gear.

u might want to go over to probetalk.com and join the A-team (auto trans club)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Change the tranny fluid and put in cooler before changing disty. I know it's more expensive than a tranny cooler and you'll need one of those regardless. Also, I've said this before but here goes again: these transmissions are known to shift hard and are not very refined. Don't expect it to be as smooth as a Toyota. Also, it took a little while for me to get used to driving my ATX (unless you have one don't judge). The best thing you can do when the car is shifting gears is not adjust the throttle because it confuses the "unintelligent" tranny. If the gear is slipping, let off the throttle and let it change, then re-apply throttle. Don't worry too much just yet. Definitely check out the A-team under Probe Owners Clubs on PT.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A friend of mine has a 94 base and he was having the same shifting problem as miami (and myself), and he changed his MAF and his car shifts back to normal. I changed the MAF and the TPS in my LS and it didn't fix it, but it could be a cheaper fix then another tranny. I took mine to the mazda dealership and made sure it is the tranny... I'm bout to swap in my third auto tranny. wish me luck.

RYZ ROKT

·
Registered
175 Posts
nother dumb question...what's the labor cost for a atx to mtx swap? Cause I certainly could not do it myself, nor do I know of anyone that could...how much would a mechanic charge for the swap, assuming i provided my own parts??

-Ashley

·
Registered
53 Posts
my friend's integra had the same symptoms. when he pulled the engine and took the tranny apart he had no clutch material on any of the clutches, and his second gear clutch plate was completely gone. the synchros were also almost completely ate away. i think it cost him about $500 to rebuild the tranny himself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you are unable to do the ATX to MTX swap yourself do not even think about paying a shop to do it. YOu would be better spending our money on another car. That said, I have an ATX. GET IT FLUSHED. COST IS AROUND $100. That is the most important thing. A flush will change 95% of the fluid and may fix all your problems. If you can get synthetic ATV installed it will shift even better. I run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. If a flush fixes your problem, then get a transmission oil cooler. Learn to use the Search feature here and at www.probetalk.com for information on how to install one. It has been explained many times. If mechanically virginal, then pay a garage to do it. There are differeing theories on installation. I have mine installed downstream from the factory cooler which is in the base of the radiator. Thus it supplements rather than replaces the original cooler. Some have bypassed the factory cooler. I think, why eliminate whatever benefit it provides however marginal it may be. The lower cooler hose is the transmission return. Run it to the new additional cooler then run the additional cooler output hose back to the transmission. Good luck.

·
Banned
67 Posts
alas, trannies.

this is a subject i hate to get into as its the heartbreak of all things mazda. it took alot for me to learn my lesson about automatic transmissions, but at this point im pretty educated.

1) Mazda Automatic Transmissions were never, ever designed for aggressive driving.
2) The HOLD button was one of the biggest mistakes tranmission-wise that Mazda ever made. It was entirely "before its time" and the light should have been the SES light for the transmission. Dont use this function. (or the O/D for you 95+ owners)
3) If you've already damaged your transmission and aren't mechanically sound, you're in deep trouble. These things aren't actually worth 1 red cent, but unfortunately pull a premium as they are in high demand. Better yet, the used one you purchase has liekly been abused as well.
4) Transferring from ATX to MTX is a wonderful idea, had it not been such a pain in the rear. If your transmission is gone, admit defeat and purchase another one used from a junkyard or even ebay (they actually pop up alot. KLZE buyers wind up with an auto transmission 1/2 of the time, and would love to sell them!)

Simplified:
If yours is broke, buy a trans and have it installed. Sell the car to someone hoping they wont abuse it.

My 1995 626 LX lasted to 152,000mi with the stock ATX. I replaced with a 350$ junkyard unit (dream on, pals. i got lucky on that price). It lasted to 161,000mi. My point about buying a used one -- the original owner liking drove the crap out of it -- they had to wreck it somehow :).

My 1991 Protege LX lasted to 168,000mi with the stock ATX. I parted with the car as it wasn't worth anything, but it still goes to show that Mazda ATXs aren't complete crap, they're just not made for aggressive driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts