Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok okay it's no kill story. But I was wondering what the big hype is about having a standard over an automatic. I have a 94 mx-6 ls with borla exhaust and cool air prm intake. If I switch to manual transmition 1,2,3 won't I be able to beat a standard stock mx-6 with not performance parts?

G

·
0 Posts
Actually not to make you feel bad but if you have a automatic, you have not a single chance to beat a manual. Please dont take this offensively as we do have dyno plots to back us up. We had a dyno meet and the results to the wheel for an auto was in the neighbourhood of 115 and for sticks 140 - 150. so unless the person missshifts I dont think you have a chance. Oh BTW in our club over here, we have a person running NOS on auto and their best 1/4 time was 15.1. We have a some one here with no Nos but manual which also ran 15.1. That tells you what I am saying.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
it is that big of a difference with 5spd and auto. gosh i did not know that i have a auto ls with intake a exhaust and thought mine was pretty quick for what i have done i guess not, well any way every body should get the J-SPEC engine anyway and get a 5spd while u r at it so lets bulk buy people we can all blow stuff out to the water with a intake and exhaust but hey it is a stock engine it is just form japan haha who has to know that??

R

·
0 Posts
Weight

Let's talk fact. Driver is the number one factor in any race. However, in the event that two drivers are equal, manuals just have too many advantages. First, off the line... I don't care how well you "power brake", it just ain't gonna beat a manual. Second, gear choice... Unless you have a special system, you just can't get the downshifts and upshift RPM's right. Last and most importantly weight... Ever wonder why manuals get better gas mileage when driven CORRECTLY and CONSERVATIVELY? Weight! I'm not going to act like I know the exact numbers cause I don't, maybe ya'll do. But automatic transmissions just way a couple hundred pounds more. So you have a lower power to weight ratio. So yes, mods will make up for the weight, but you just can't overcome the other two weaknesses...

Then again, tell that to Porche and its 911 turbo pullin a 3.4 zero to 60 with a triptronic automatic. Of course, manual is 3.2.... Why? WEIGHT!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Acutally weight isnt really the big factor when it comes to acceleration differences between an ATX and and MTX. It's due to the fact that ATX's slip. That's their operating principle. You lose lots of power through the torque convereter, fluid pump, clutch bands/packs, and all the other rediculous crap that they have. Plus on an ATX you're more or less forced to take off below the powerband. Whereas on an MTX you can launch however you like. ATX's arent nearly as reliable either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts