Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I'm contemplating purchasing a 1995 Mazda MX-6 that I saw on a carlot today. It's not an LS, but even with just a 4 cylinder and an automatic (grrr), the car really impressed me (great ride, kinda peppy, quiet engine, beautiful cockpit layout, and fully loaded -- including moonroof). I think I can also get quite the deal on it considering my family knows the sales manager there.

Anyway, so knowing nothing about them before today, I've been doing some research on them this afternoon. Leaving the dealer I was under the impression that the car had a foreign motor in it that, like other imports, would be expected to run forever. Now I keep reading that it's the same motor shared by the Ford Probe and I'm less excited. I imagine everyone here's gonna stand up and support the MX-6 engines, still, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I guess I'm trying to say, Please tell me it's not just a Ford motor dropped in a Mazda!

thanks in advance,
-matt

·
Registered
61 Posts
actually it's about the opposite (good news for you, i guess)

it's entirely mazda. ford probes are actually a ford version of the MX6 (PROBE has a MAZDA engine)

and being a V6er i can't vouch for the I4s really, but if it's anything like it's big brother: yes the engine will outlast everything else in the car (it's really everything else you need to thoroughly inspect!)

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Plus a manual tranny is a damn site more fun than the auto.
You feel more in control of the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I know sticks are more fun to drive, that goes without saying. I'm not out shopping for MX-6's, though. I stumbled across this one at a lot where I know the used car sales mananger and was really impressed with it. I'm looking at a '95, 60000 miles, auto, 4-cyl, pwr windows, pwr moon roof, A/C, tilt, cruise, cassette, spoiler, alloys, etc and in MINT condition for about $7500 to $7800. I think it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Now this transmission talk kinda scares m,e though. Might just buy it anyway tomorrow (carlots are closed here on Sundays so I had all day today to think about it).

thanks for the input, and any further help would be greatly appreciated,
-matt

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
hello...

The ATX is as good to you as you are to it. If you pound the crap out of it, racing at every light, up hills, etc. it's going to go, that is unless you upgrade it, like you would any other part of the car that does as much work as the tranny under a load. With a level 10 torque converter, good filter, and a cooler, I'm pretty sure you'll be in the same position as someone with a upgraded clutch durability wise. Think about it this way though, the MTX is designed for abusive/cocky/fun loving/civic killing little punks like most of us on here (at least at heart) where-as the ATX is designed for the more conservative driver who wants a little passing power and decent pick-up but the total thoughtlessness and ease of the auto.
Just some random thoughts,
good luck!
Claeren.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts