Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
they look like the ones i got!
don't even know what brand the ones i got were!

there's hot shots
and some other company that make them!

i got mine from ebay (german) it was a perfect fit no problems at all

·
Registered
601 Posts
Also looks like mine..:tup:
I got mine off ebay from SSAutochrome.
Very easy to install with no problems.

Now I am running straight ss tubing from headers to scorpion back box.As I dont need to have a cat on mine as its a pre august 92. Though I am looking for a ss resonator (middlebox) to tune it down a little.})

I cant seem to get a large enough pict on here.But I have a few picts of the headers here

http://groups.msn.com/MADMX6

Roy

·
Registered
49 Posts
:) Looking to fit these to my 2.5i v6 auto , theyve been in the garage for 4 weeks now , just seem to have a big big big Dread of trying to access the rear manifold bolts :( as the front seems straight forward and ive been hunting for a link here ? Any tips on accessing the rear bolts with out leaving broken studs or lots of skin and blood around that area :confused: ...also got the de-cat to go with it so far :)

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Having fitted these, i can honestly say from my own personal experience, you will curse, you will loose skin, shed blood and tears ;) . but dont let it put you off, combined with a de-cat, your going to notice them at the higher end of the rev range. Also, as you mention a de-cat, i assume your motor was registered before Aug 92 ? if not, you may well have trouble passing immisions at the next MOT. If it was registered before aug 92, it will also help you regarding the EGR. I disconnected mine, and had somebody weld up the connection hole on the headers, and cut and plugged the EGR valve pipe to the cylinder head.

They are a pain to fit, but then so would a replacement std rear manifold should it need replacing. If you can get the car on a hoist, its going to help no-end. You can get to the rear bolts from the top, you will be left with scratches that take weeks to heal, but it all good, after the first scratch you dont feel the rest anyway ;) . You biggest problem will be the EGR pipe, and aligning the manifolds to the down pipe section.

Here is a good link, maybe different manufacturer, but the same process applies. http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146131

Oddy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
on a slightly thread hijacking note

has anyone fitted 2 exhausts one for each bank of 3 cylinders?

i have these manifold off e bay and was thinking of making it 3 into 1 .

have bourght 2 cats ready for mot time.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
if you look under the car at the headers, you will see a u-bend for the rear bank.. it has been designed so the lengths of both pipes are the same, this makes the flow smooth... unlike scoobydoo's where they are pulsing together giving the typical rough sound..

I suppose it could be done, but ideally, the rear bank needs a bend somewhere to equal the length... not sure if there would be any performance gains or losses.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
:tup: Thanks
Oddball As soon as i get going on this project i will keep this thread updated , the manifolds are the same as the ones in the link so hopefully this will be a ok project , was thinking of putting the de-cat on first as this will make life easier when i do start the headers , in the fact that the bolts will cracked ready for removal and there wont be a issue from that side of it .

The car was registered in 1994 but i belive its a late 1993 model , as for the engine its done 148000 so i assume its been replaced with a 1992 engine ;) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1733264", true);

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you look under the car at the headers, you will see a u-bend for the rear bank.. it has been designed so the lengths of both pipes are the same, this makes the flow smooth... unlike scoobydoo's where they are pulsing together giving the typical rough sound..

I suppose it could be done, but ideally, the rear bank needs a bend somewhere to equal the length... not sure if there would be any performance gains or losses.

John
not looked under the car but where the braided flexi piece is and the exhaust goes into one, i would cut this off and send the exhaust down both side fitting flexi's and bending as needed thus keeping the bends ect.

this typing with a pencil is bloody slow and hard .

·
Registered
49 Posts
quote :- thinking of putting the de-cat on first as this will make life easier when i do start the headers , in the fact that the bolts will cracked ready

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

De -Cated today:angel: simple task apart from one bolt :rolleyes: , bump on the head , loads of missing skin and wrong gaskets , but the old gaskets were mint and a bit of exhaust paste all was fine ,also needed to buy 4 x 2" bolts , nuts & spring washers as the old cat had 4 bits of threaded bar attached for connection, but well worth the result :jump: differant car to drive not as disgrunted smother idle better response , looking forward to the headers now :jump:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts