Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently bought an 84' B2000 and wanted to do a fairly budget friendly engine swap when I stumbled upon a good deal on an F2T from an 89' MX-6 (2.2L Turbocharged) and after a bit of research. Apparently, these engines can be converted to RWD and bolt right up to a stock B2000 Transmission and with a t3/t4 turbo make decent power on stock internals. My question is if it is as easy as it sounds or even possible for that matter? or if maybe a different route would suit me better? Any knowledge or help on the subject is appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been searching for quit some time for a b2200. So far have not been able to find one to my liking that is within what I want to pay.
From what I have found out so far is the head is different on the B-series truck, because the MX-6 head has the distributor on the same side as the transmission. This would hit the firewall of the truck, so they use an 8 valve head and the distributor is up by the timing belt. There are ways of using a 12 valve head and relocating the distributor up by the timing belt. But that would take some research. Someone said getting a camshaft from a Mazda Bongo (Australia), would help do this.
Hopefully someone else here has more information for you.
The best place I have found for info on the mazda truck is Mazda Mini Trucking on Facebook. They are pretty knowledgeable there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been searching for quit some time for a b2200. So far have not been able to find one to my liking that is within what I want to pay.
From what I have found out so far is the head is different on the B-series truck, because the MX-6 head has the distributor on the same side as the transmission. This would hit the firewall of the truck, so they use an 8 valve head and the distributor is up by the timing belt. There are ways of using a 12 valve head and relocating the distributor up by the timing belt. But that would take some research. Someone said getting a camshaft from a Mazda Bongo (Australia), would help do this.
Hopefully someone else here has more information for you.
The best place I have found for info on the mazda truck is Mazda Mini Trucking on Facebook. They are pretty knowledgeable there.
I purchased my 84' B2000 for $3000(usd) has 85,000 original miles but the body was completely refurbished and looks mint which was what made me pull the trigger on it, been a fun little truck so far but since it isn't my daily, I just want to have some fun with it. Which is why I want to engine swap it, just to have a little more horsepower and have fuel injection instead of carbureted (idk how much of a headache a blowthrough carb would be to do but i don't want to find out). I've gotten the carb pretty tuned but at times it can be a pain to work with. I'll be sure to check out the mini trucking page, appreciate the heads up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts