Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first of all this is no BS story. it just happened tonite. My freind and i were leaving a comedy show here at fiu and he has a 96 mustang with a 5.0 engine. Now before he got the engine, he had the normal v6 3.whatever engine and we would race and i will take him. So now that he has the 5.0 engine he wanted to run it, so im like whatever cause i know im gonna get smoked but i dont back down from a race. so we get to this red light we are both reving our engines. the light turns green and we take off. he pulls ahead of me and and he getting distance from me. when i hit 3rd gear i start to get a lil ground on him. i was able to get right behind him without losing any ground. i still lost the race but i thought it would have been alot more embarassing but i was able to keep up. he has a stock and i have a weapon r intake and bosh +4 plugs and ngk wires and exhaust. and to top of my night, there was an accord (couldnt tell if it was v6) but i totally smoked it. it made up for my lost against the 5.0 have any of you guys raced a 5.0? did u win? or did you get KILLED?

·
Registered
236 Posts
My friend has a 96 Cobra, all stock except Flowmaster exhaust and wrapped headers. It blew my doors off.. But I loved it cause I'm a Ford man. We went through some S-Curves and thats where I was impressed with my MX6 (bad left CV joint and all!). I reeled him in easily through the hairpins and had a good enough run on him out of the turn that he didnt pull away until he'd grab 3rd.

Chris

·
Registered
375 Posts
5.0s

Ive raced alot of 5.0s old and new. Have had many wins and many losses. I can make a safe assumption that I can take stock 5.0s. The only ones that give me some trouble are Cobras, Ive won some but lost more. Love boost, later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
well, you actually shoulda been able to take him with ease, so schedule a rematch......the 96 mustangs with the v-8's only ran a 15.4 quarter mile, and thats the gt version, which your friend doesnt have(which means different suspension and other shit) where as the mx-6 runs the 1/4 mile in 15.6....STOCK!!!! with your mods you should have at least been dead even with him, if not way ahead of him...good luck next time

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im gonna race him again cause i think i could have beaten him the first time if i was shifting better so i guess they arent as fast as i first thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My friend has a '94 Mustang GT with the 5.0 in it ( I love that car ) anyways, he knows that I can't win a race with him, but I can keep up with him for atleast a mile, and while he's got way more ponies than me, my car handles curves way better, so I am kind of bad about riding his a$$ when we hit all of the back roads. :E

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've raced them a few times (about 3 or 4 times), and I mostly tied with them.

Those Mustangs do NOT impress me at all! However, I do know that they CAN be made to be EXTREMELY fast. I'd rather have it be fast to begin with (in stock form).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
By the way, a 1996 has the 4.6L, not a 5.0L, right? Unless he PUT a 5.0 in it.

G

·
0 Posts
Forget the new sytles you need to go up against the box bodies. They were running more horses stock and a lot easier to get a few (300) horsepower. But anuway Mustang people piss me off because they always think they have the best Mustang ever. But every now and then you come across a mean one.

[Edited by Woodnutz on 03-09-2001 at 05:05 PM]

G

·
0 Posts
i find it hard to believe that you guys say your stock mx6 can beat a stock mustang......if your so bad how come i have beaten every mx6 and probe ive seen.

G

·
0 Posts
ztriumph.
Alot of guys for drag racing put the 6cyl springs in there z's and stangs. The reason for this is with the softer springs and swaybars he can get a better launch with the vehicle comming off the front and transitioning(sp??) to the rear therfore more weight and more traction.

·
Registered
416 Posts
00z, good point , i quite forgot about that, but my friend did that, he dropped a sick motor in a 89 lx, and totally redid the enitre casr, also i heard that the 4 and 6 cylinder cars were lighter(besides the engine being smaller).. however, in my triumph i opted for the adjustable koni shocks, i can switch them both inup and down firmness, as well as side to side, which is great when goin from the track to autocrossing.

G

·
0 Posts
those koni's do work very well for that. Is that a shock that you have to take off to adjust or can you adjust it on the car. How does the triumph do for the autocrossing? I am looking at doing the solo II with my Z this summer. Not real sure how i am going to do. I know it will do great on the straights but comming out of the corners has me a little courius.

·
Registered
416 Posts
00z, those konis can be adjusted while right on the car, its ****ing sweet...as for autocrossing, you should do pretty well, but you def need to put some tghter bushings, (polyurethane) and some better shocks, also try to do some mods that'll increase your torque, rather then straight horsepower, as that is what you'll mostly need when coming out of corners. also get some sticky racing tires, they make a huge difference! as for my triumph, it does pretty well, but then again i have a lot of $ into it and it has a lot more power then your stock triumph, enough for an 11 second 1/4 mile(god i love saying that ;o) ) in fact i placed second several times last year, which i think is great considering its a 1980!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts