Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I finally bought an MX-6 LS 5-SPEED Silver, just like my old one with only 40,000 miles on it!
MysterE? -
I've seen this somewhere before, but, what the hell does the mystere/mystery on the back mean? I'm curious,

btw... its a foriegn MX-6, I lucked out cause the ad in autotrader has the mileage gaged in Kilo's instead of Miles, so not many people have come out to look at it...
BTW... this puppies FAST!!!
Cant wait to modify the hell out of it!!!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it's pronounced "miss-steer" (as ironic as that is in a car that handles as well as the MX6...) AFAIK, there's no special meaning to the name. Perhaps a "romantic" French-like slant on the word "mysterious".
Who knows...way back in 1968-ish, everyone tried to pin a reason/meaning/etymology on the name "Camaro" until GM insiders fessed-up and admitted they'd made the word up :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
dear friend,

I think mx-6 2nd generation was badged in canada and i think australia as the mystere. if I'm wrong let me know.

thanks,

Anthony

p.s.
good luck with the car

·
Registered
142 Posts
it's pronounced "MISS-STAIR" and is, I belive, a french word approx.meaning mysterious.

BIGGER QUESTION:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does anyone know what the hell MX-6 means????

·
Registered
191 Posts
kingnajar got the pronounciation right.

Here in Canada the MX6 was badged "mystere" and the 626 was badged "chronos". I read that Mazda wanted to give their vehicles a real name instead of alpha-numeric designations. But it backfired, I think in 96 they dropped the extra badges because apparently not too many people knew what a "mystere" or a "chronos" was, instead of an MX6 or a 626.

hope this clears things up

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
my understanding

I beleive it has to do with Japenese perception versus North American perception. In Japan they are all called by their designations mystere=mx6 626=cronos mx5=miata (i forget what the 929 was called)

Because of the North American culture, people here generally prefer that their cars have names as opposed to just a number designation...

dont get me wrong, im from Canada eh? and I prefer the numbered designations more so...

·
Registered
128 Posts
MYSTERE??? MX6

M = MY
Y = YELLOW
S = SEXY
T = TORQUEY
E = EVERLASTING
R = RIDE
E = ECSTACY

IT'S WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU......

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have one and it's just a fully loaded LS. I think the badging was as a few other ppl have said for marketing reasons. Mystere sounded more poetic I guess on TV adds ect.. I remember the commericals that use to come on TV and Mystere suited them better..

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Title

I have a mystere myself and I believe that its only given to the LS v-6 and not the v-4, is that right? Also what does mx-6 stand for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys/Gals,

I think MX-6 designation is defined as follows..

M=Normally Aspirated Engine (R=Rotary)
X=Sports Coupe/Convertible (ie. 2 Door)
6=Model Family Designation (not number of Cyliners !!!)

Mystere name was never used in Australia. Here we had MX6-4WS and MX6-2WS models !!

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts