Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
the stock 2.2 n/a cam is the same as the turbo cam.
Duh yar I know, I was talking about thousands of cars in general not specifically the F2T.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I know this is about the 1g, but don't 2g ZE cams have a slight overlap? They boosted just fine for me.
Yes thats my point, most N/A cams have some overlap and boost just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
the manufacturers probably only shorten the overlap for emissions and driveability reasons.

They'd be the first people to use the same part rather than make two different ones if they thought that might save $0.50

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
nice build nice thread nice pics.
btw. if u are looking for a megasquirt... im selling mine. its never used and i think ive never completed it. it was a DIY kit which i bought threw the banner here on this site.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The interprep 270s are measured to have 18 degrees of overlap, and those are SIGNIFICANTLY more aggressive (both lift and duration) than even the ZE cams, so the overlap on the ZE cams must be minimal at best, thus they boost so well. This is also the reason that Geoff at Colt will tell you not to get straight 218's and boost them, to stick with something a little more mild with LESS overlap.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
what exactly did you do for the transmission? i never did sell the rx7 shell and now that my bmw runs i might finish this project too. i've got the rx7 trans and b2200 trans also i just havent set them side by side yet or taken them apart.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I sent them both into a transmission shop and just told them to use the b2200 bell on the rx7 non-turbo tranny. They bolted right up and work. The thing I'm worried about is that there isn't much of a spline coming out of the tranny, not sure if it will mesh. I will prob find out soon though when I get my much needed fidanza and 6 puck clutch from the non-turbo mx6/b2200

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
ah okay. i'll see it first hand i guess then since i'll be doing the work myself. i'd say "i'll snap some detailed pics" but odds are i'll forget :lol:

i thought u have to use the rx7 clutch/PP setup...

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
yeah that was my plan was to get a used OEM set and see if it'll fit. i'd prefer going with the rx7 combo because it opens up options for performance clutch kits.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I didn't have a problem at all finding a 6-puck clutch for a b2200/ non-turbo mx6. The spine on the non-turbo rx7 is the same as the one for the b2200 - lx/dx mx6.

I just test fit with a $118 clutch from auto zone and flywheel from a friend, works fine as much as I can tell, when I spun the engine the transmission spun with it. Will be returning the clutch as its still brand new and I'm upgrading. Is there anything else I need to check for??
My friend has pictures on his camera of it all test fit together. I don't know when I'll have them up though.
I heard that the starter will not mesh for some reason. I guess I'm going to find out.
I Just put a down payment on my megasquirt kit from the bulk buy on probetalk.com. He said he's really backed up though so his estimate on when mine will be done was 4-8 weeks. Its ok though I still have a lot to do once I get my my engine all bolted together. Oh speaking of which you can't use all the mx6 bolts for the b2200 bell. the bolts are way shorter for it. I may have to buy some or head out to a junk yard to find some more.

Let me know if you have any updates on yours.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey who do I talk to to get the name of my thread changed? This build is obviously going somewhere. And If I don't make it, I sure laid the foundation/guess/test work down so someone will finish.
It will have to take something semi big to get me to stop now, I really want to finish this.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
yeah i know the bolts are smaller. i think i saw that on cosborne's thread or he told me in a PM maybe? i dont remember. i figure i'll try the b2200 bolts i have when i get there.

i should probably start to reassemble the oil pan and such :lol:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah It looks like I'm using an awful lot of b2200 parts. Luckily I have a friend with tons of those parts. He is almost like me with all my mx6 parts. I think I'm going to buy some engine motor-mounts off him. I believe it may simplify the install.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
you don't need that if you do a modified distributor right?

i've got a hole cut in the firewall for my dizzy to poke through so i can just keep using that.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I didn't want to cut. But since you've done it did you mess anything up in the process? like the heater core or something. You can just keep the base of the disty (the part with all the sensors) and not cut a hole in the firewall?

21 - 40 of 449 Posts