Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

421 - 440 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ads are easy enough to get rid of.
The site has certainly become very quiet and I only look in every few days or weeks now. I agree about the FB groups, what a really awful way of communication. Endless scrolling down a single page to try and find anything and the endless email spamming from FB itself. Definately no comparison to a properly structured site.
Place is so quiet that I am not sure whether to bother posting anuthing about the '88 DOHC MX6 I picked up a few weeks ago that I am working on.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Yeah I kinda wonder if I should even post too... I guess I will just to finish it off. If I ever finish it off. Lots of people left when it got sold because of the adds. The old color scheme was easier on the eyes too. I would like to hear about your car. go ahead, post up, and send me a link.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please keep posting! I check in daily to see if there's anything to learn. I drive my 88 daily, it's such a fun little car. I went to pick'n'pull here in the bay area to find an AC Valve, and found 1 92 Mazda 626 in the whole place. It had the piece I was looking for :) These things are nearly gone it seems. But Please keep posting for those like me who still need a reference. I joined probetalk also, but it's not like here. Damn Photobucket phucked all the images on most forums sadly.

I'm inclined to start a "what did you do to your mx-6 today?" Thread. Last week my car ran very rough, so this past weekend I found my header stud to be stripped. I helicoiled it and I'm back to a smooth purring machine. My MAF plug keeps coming loose too for some reason, so I need to check that nearly daily. It clips into place but still comes loose. The metal clips are 30 years old, so whatever.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The FB part of it is a bit more popular to chat with and see rides from across the Globe, but truly not a lot of info as this site once had. Sad that all the how tos went to [shizzle] and leave you hunting info on your own. Thankfully I got much needed info when it was available.

Check out

https://web.archive.org/web/*/Mx6.com

For a nostalgic view of what the site used to be like

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
That's great, hopefully your persistence is contagious. I believe a lot of 6's can still be saved. Mine has been parked for a while. Just need money and time.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Yeah I know that 1G MX-6s actually have potential but were never really given a chance. Mainly because everyone was so broke lol

So some updates, no real pictures of the car itself, but I just dropped a lot of cash on just parts.

Engine management

I ended up going with Haltech Elite 1000 with Premium Universal Wire-in Harness Kit

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-150804-elite-1000/

Reasons?
well

I was in over my head and I kept feeling kinda dumb when it came to the setup such as, choosing what to enable, jumper wires etc.

Unfortunately when I was looking for local help and someone to tune not everyone was friendly or familiar with megasquirt. I think I got wrote off lots of times especially because of my weird swap with an engine no-one has ever heard of.

haltech just seemed so strait forward when compared to megasquirt. I want this project done and I think that this is the fastest way to accomplish that.

I would love to learn Megasquirt one day, but I think it would be better to start with a running car first.

It would have probably been much cheaper with Megasquirt. Anyhow I have two megasquirt boxes if someone wants to buy them off me. one is assembled and the other is a DIY kit.

Why go with elite 1000 vs other haltech ecus? it had the options I wanted such as knock control, long and short term fuel trim, (tune's its self) and I forgot the other reasons. It just seemed like the best for my application from the choices they offered.

Injectors

DIY autotune 1000cc injectors with pigtails
This is what I got,they said it would fit but I'm not sure.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/1000-cc-high-impedance-11-mm-injector/

Fuel pump

Walbro 255 lph - need I say more? This should supply enough fuel I think? Any input on this?

Motor / Trans mounts
Going to have the mounts redone with some polyurethane mounts in the stock RX7 location.

Radiator
AN ebay Honda 3row aluminum radiator has already been delivered. Mounts will be fabed

Got the one with the fan because it was cheaper that way.

That is it for now. The car is already at my friends place unfortunately I had to put the front end under a tarp. I wish he had more garage space but that was part of the agreement that it would have to stay outside and he would work on it a bit at a time so it doesn't take precious garage space.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
I've done 3 or 4 quick searches but I couldn't find what the part number was for some NGK Copper sparkplugs. That's what they came with from the factory, I think. I do need some colder plugs any suggestions? I know there were some threads about this somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Pics of the stuff you bought are showing up, I did a quick search for you as well on the threads but due to bickering back and forth, nobody bothered to mention the copper ngk part numbers, just the iridium 1g A and 1g B part numbers.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Mazda Carnage answered my question in another thread. I just ordered the colder plugs. This info also seems helpful so I quoted it here.

I don't understand why you are getting spark blowout?
I have never experienced spark blowout even at 31psi.
I run NGK V groove plugs ZFR7F11 gaped to 0.035-0.037" (I order them for a 1990 probe GT because they cant seem to find them for the mx6 or 626 even though it's the same part number, 7 is the cold plug, 6 regular and 5 is hot) and regular blue NGK wires on the factory ignition without any problems.

2 of the other mx6 gt's have MSD ignition but I have never noticed any difference over the factory ignition, switching back to it due to the msd coil dying. They also run the same Vgroove plugs and gap.

I haven bought new spark plugs in quite some time, I just clean them with a wire brush on a bench grinder.

I am so confident in the NGK V groove plugs that I have a brand new set of NGK Iridium spark plugs that have been siting around since 2006 (client totaled his car and gave me the plugs and wrecked car). I had planned on putting them in an N/A tuned F2 but life is too short to drive N/A. Never would I put them or any other spark plug in an F2T besides V Groove plugs, maybe I am jaded but I can count more than 20 times someone put performance plugs in there perfectly working car and the plugs failed or caused problems, some where F2T's.

It sounds to me like it could be another problem.
The smaller black box is called an igniter, this is an electronic ignition.

Remember positive is constant at the coil and ground is pulsed, try adding a couple engine grounds, I forgot the ground next to the cam gear once and could only manage 50% boost any higher and spark broke up, pulled over, noticed the wire, grounded it and turn up the boost again.

Could it be the signal to the computer is breaking up under the faster acceleration under higher boost. so the ecu read 4000 and 5000rpm no problem and when it reads 1500pulses from 4000 to 5000 (3 pulses per cam rpm = 1.5 pulses per crank rpm) in 1 second there is no problem but when it tries to decipher 1500 pulses in 0.1 seconds maybe it has a problem.

I would try adding thick gauge wire engine grounds first and then see if there is any way to increase the ecu programs ignition resolution or signal output above 3000rpm.

If the grounds work, try a 0.035" gap and if everything is okay don't gap the plugs any tighter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Hey guys I'm looking for some LS coils with internal igniters. Any ideas on what car to get them from?

I also want to get the harnesses too. I'm thinking my only reasonable choice for that would be from the junk yard.

421 - 440 of 449 Posts