Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 449 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I was deciding on what kind of sensor I wanted for my crank and I came across this:
Hall vs. VR: Which speed sensor is wrong for you? - Electronic Products
Its a really good read and It helped me make up my mind.
I built a crank VR sensor (so-so results, missing at high revs), but since you have the engine apart, You should put the crank sensor on the Flywheel ! It would be a lot more accurate since its a larger diameter and crank twist is a non issue.

My next sensor will be a opto or Hall. VR isn't accurate compared to those.

Dark ... You should put in a 'DATE' when you revise posts the first pages of this thread so we can see what you do in order.

Great thread ! What bell housing would fit a KL to a B2000 trans ?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Thanks Dark!

So let me see if I can sum up your pictures into the approximate visual lengths...

Miata Transmission to shifter - 13.5"
Miata Bell Housing - 13.5"

B2200 Transmission to shifter - 9.5"
B2200 Bell Housing - 14"

RX-7 N/A Transmission to shifter - 15"
RX-7 N/A Bell Housing - 12.75"

Would be great if we could fill in those ? above.

I believe that somewhere in this thread, you mentioned that the input shaft of the RX-7 (possibly also the Miata) was shorter than the B2200 input shaft. As the RX-7 transmission body is longer, and the guts are potentially swappable (as I believe you had also mentioned), then this would leave less of the input shaft available to stick through into the bell housing.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
well the inputshaft is interchangeable. I haven't tried it but I think you can mix and match all the input shafts.

I know for sure that you can swap the b2200 input with the n/a rx7.
That's good. Effectively that means you can use any transmission with any bell as long as you use the input shaft that goes with the bell. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Just a fyi swaping just the inputshaft is not easy. The whole transmission must be broken down to get it in or out, which means totally separating both shafts and removing lots of gears and hubs, ect.
So yeah don't do it unless you know what your doing or with someone who does.

Just a warning though =
I do not suggest anyone do this yet
The transmission currently is stuck in 4th. I'm not sure if it is because the input shaft is just a little off or the brass blocker ring is the wrong size. ( the transmission shop gave me the wrong kit but I made it work).

This is my first time rebuilding a transmission. My instructor said it could be that the ring just needs to be broken in a little so we will see if this will even work when I get the whole car together.
If it does not work it could just mean that I did a bad job so I'll take it to a transmission shop and see what can be done.
So unless your willing to pioneer it don't do it.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I understand your concern. If I were to use a non-mated transmission/bell and require the resulting transmission to be torn down, I would likely spring for a full rebuild at a qualified shop. I would probably pull apart the donor myself though as it would not need to go back together.

What do you think the odds are of getting the length of the Miata bell?

81 - 100 of 449 Posts