Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
No there just wasn't anything to talk about. I'm not going to give up on this. This is the hardest project I have undertaken and A lot of stuff is over my head, so I'm having to learn a lot on the go.

Right now the issue is that the clutch and flywheel that I have are only for the MX-6 and do not work with the b2200 starter and possibly the throw out bearing/fork. I was told that it would work and now I have issues.

To fix this someone suggested that I try swaping the drive gear on the starter to make it work. I should take some pictures to show you guys what i mean.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
id def cut that flange. looks hella thick. and with the 1 piece design, and the differences in expansion from the aluminum of the head, and the steel of the flange, you could potentially have problems there. so even another reason other then spark plug clearance to cut that flange.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the starter and clutch should work just fine out of the B2200 since it was the F2 engine in it from factory so then you could use the factory F2 flywheel and that should solve that problem, when i mounted the B2200 trans to the FE-DOHC the starter and everything lined up just fine but i was just using the stock flywheel and the starter off of an F2 that i had laying around.
as for the flange i don't think you would have to do any flange trimming but def need pics to see what you are talking about for sure

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
id def cut that flange. looks hella thick. and with the 1 piece design, and the differences in expansion from the aluminum of the head, and the steel of the flange, you could potentially have problems there. so even another reason other then spark plug clearance to cut that flange.
Your making mountains out of mosquito bites.
There will be no problems caused by the different rates of expansion of the alloy head and the steel flange.

Cast iron full face manifolds cause no problems on alloy heads so why should a full face steel flange?

Spark plug access is another issue though and I'm 100% sure that the JGS flange will not allow access to plugs 2 & 3.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
haha, nope not yet its still sitting in my garage. School is basically non-stop for me now. I finish one class then another starts. :( The good thing about it is that i will get done faster.

The other day I cleaned up the engine bay getting it ready to weld in the mounts and removed the old exhaust since it was on the wrong side for this engine anyways.
I decided to go ahead with the project despite the problems with clutch/flywheel/starter/throwout bearing fork and just concentrate on making it run. Which is a daunting task for me in it's self since I've never rewired a car before and i need it to run without a distributor.

I think I've said it before and i guess I'll say it again, I don't plan on giving up on this project. It will probably take forever yes... but what good things don't. I wish i could give you guys more updates and eye candy but most of the time there really isn't anything to talk about. If I finally say forget it and dump the project you guys will be one of the first to know. Main thing holding me back? Money. Hence the school.
but then you need money to go to school and school to make money, so i think all of you understand my predicament.

At the same time all of your interest does help motivate me, sometimes (or a lot of times) i do get discouraged with it. Knowing someone is interested in it does help.

My bro keeps saying i need to forget about mazda and get a honda or something else LOL

Did you guys want more pictures? This week since you guys wanted it I promise I will give you some progress on the project.

Take care guys and thanks for the interest. If you guys keep bugging me I just might get it done lol

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Dark, that is what I am here for. I want to see this project completed. Any more pictures along the way that you can take and post would be great as well. :tup:

On a semi-related note, I pulled my first MGB engine about 3 weekends ago for a local guy. He was going to do it on his own but obviously didn't have the skills. It was amazingly simple. That just continues to give me motivation to someday swap the B to an F2T. I already have some items sitting here but need to pick up a tranny and pull the lump from my 71 parts car to confirm whatever new transmission combination will fit in the tunnel with reasonable modifications. That's why I asked for all those measurements pages ago in this thread. :cool:

141 - 160 of 449 Posts