Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, To start off I have a 93 Maxda Mx3, It started life as a 1.6l small 4 banger, when I first bought it a good friend of mine did a swap to a KLZE with all of the fixins. about a year later, that engine blew to bits, I guess the almost 20psi of boost was too much for it, now after having no power for the last two years with the 1.6 back in place, I am ready to start over. So here is the question, I am looking for a low mileage KLZE, secondly what should I do to keep it from blowing this time. Unfortunatly I didn't have a chance to Dyno the first engine but estimates were that I was running about 325hp, any way to get that power back without blowing the engine.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
i really doubt that it started as a 4 banger. just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
20psi on a klze is more than a little too much. it's suicidal. the klze has a very high compression ratio (10:1) that doesn't lend itself to high boost situations. in fact, many argue that a klze shouldn't be boosted at all.

you can get klze engines on ebay or from a vendor. i got mine from noyanusa.com and have been very happy with it. just make sure for your application (mx3) that you get a curved neck klze and not a straight neck klze.

also, 325hp would have made you one of the highest hp klze's in existance, so i would venture to say that your actual hp/tq rating was a "bit" lower than what your butt-dyno suggests. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It definitly started off as a 1.6L. All of the mounts had to be custom made and also had to cut the tranny support brace to be able to get the engine to sit in it. As far as the hp, that was based on my friends math on the parts and the mods, It still has the monza exhaust, but i had a jet chip, cams, ca intake, and of few other mods that I can't remember. Here is a link to pics of the car and the engine compartment, sorry, no pictures of the mods, lost them when I moved back to Cincy from Dover AFB. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakarot135/album?.dir=/edae

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
the engine that is sitting in that engine compartment is not a KLZE though.

this is a klze. mine to be exact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts