Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As far as I know, the answer is yes. All V6 Mx3's, Mazda 626's, Ford Probes, and Mazda Mx6's used the same G-series 5 speed transmission. I do think they all had slightly different gear ratios though but I don't know what they are.
I have done plenty of research and find out that you can put any MTX coming from MX3-MX6 V6 for 626 V6. But the difference is with their final/5th gear ratio. 626 has the biggest gear wheel and Probe GT/MX3 have the smallest ones. Mx6 has sth falls into middle I guess.

I should use 626 gear wheel as I want relaxing/low rpm freeway cruising as well as higher top speed when the road allows :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
5th and final drive gears are two sepperate things.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
no. The mx-3 uses a different spline count on the axles and is not directly interchangeable with the 2.5's. You can make it work but you will either have custom axles made or play around with combining mx3 inner and mx6 outer axles.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Or swap out a 2.5 diff ^

I forgot all about the spline difference.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
ah true, I forgot the mx6 diff will fit in the mx3 case. Good call. The only time this usually comes up is in regard to the LSD kf trannys, where swapping the diff would defeat the whole purpose.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think, down the road I'm going to look into the 626 tranny swap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have got the 626 MTX at last :)

I have been trying to swap the transmissions, ECUs and the harnesses from ATX car to MTX one and vice versa right now. Please tell me what should I care for while connecting the cable sockets and what should I do in order to stifle blowing up the ECUs for both cars? The car that I got the MTX belongs to one of my friends BTW. I am not a qualified electrician
Both cars are 626 V6 Hatchback
ATX car is very tricky, its harness is much more complicated than MTX one. We had to swap the transmissions each other, otherwise it would be much more easier, because I needn'T have swapped the ECU, etc on my car. Anyway, so far so good :)

·
Fast but Safe (say WHAT?)
365 Posts
on this subject, i was wondering if I could delete any harness for the ATX when I swap to a mtx?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts