Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been having some problems with my 1996 MX6 V6 lately.(Seems like too many actually) Between my engine ticking, oil lasting only 5000kms before bone dry and now I have another problem:

So, randomly one day last week I pull out of my driveway and drive down the road. I start to make a sharp turn on the next street and I hear a clunking sound from the front of my car as I'm turning. Almost like somebody is taking a hammer and tapping it against the bottom of the front of my car. My friend has a ford zx2 s/r and said he had a similar problem and it was his tranny gone. The sound only occurs when I am in gear, normally 1st,2nd,or 3rd, and when I'm turning. It sounds more when I give it gas around the turns, but it still makes it when I'm not. If it's not in gear it doesn't make the sound. It doesn't cause the car to turn any different, it doesn't move the car any differently it's just a weird clunking sound everytime I make a sharp right or left turn.

I'm planning on swapping a new KLZE engine and tranny this April anyways, but was wondering if it is my tranny would it last that long? And if it isn't my tranny, what is it!? :(

Thanks guys,
James

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sure this is not your CV joints?

Crawl under and check your CV outers. I bet the rubber boots are torn and they are void of grease.

Cheers,

·
Registered
533 Posts
check your:
balljoints
swaybar link
cv joint
coil spring
coil spring seat
strut

if all of those check out, then let us know. typical clunking is had from that generic list.

JACK.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
CV's most probably victim for the noise.

Your oils going cause its most prob leaking, check front and rear rocker covers, or possibly the sump

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
My 6 had the same problem up until this weekend. I finally had some cash and time so I jacked up the car to take a look at my steering components. Here is what I found/fixed.

- Tie rod ends had no boot or grease left. My alignment was always bad and I figured this was the problem, replaced. Endlinks were replaced as well because they came in the box with my tie rods (ebay set)

- My control arm bushings were severely worn causing a little bit of play and a "clunking" noise when I moved them. Replaced along with whole control arm because my ball joint was also bad.

So the drive to work this morning? Quiet, and smooth. Even without the alignment which is scheduled for after work today. My thoughts? The clunking noise I heard in my car came from either the control arm ball joint, and/or the terribly worn bushings. Dont let this stuff scare you. Its not that hard to replace. Just make sure you have the right tools and parts before hand. If its your DD start on the beginning of your weekend so your not rushing before you have to get to work again if any problems were to arise. Good luck! Hope this helps

Oh and PS if your car were to "click" during a turn at whatever speed. Its definitely the cv joints. But a clunk more than likely will be because of the above problems

Reactions: Davaro
1 - 5 of 5 Posts