Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what i think may be a problem. When the car is at normal temperature, and i flick change (Change the gears fast), as soon as i pop the clutch it does not grip but it feels like the clutch slips for a while and then grips. Is this a problem? The mechanics at the Mazda dealer near me says i must drive the kar at 20 Km/H in 5th gear and then floor it. If the clutch does not slip it is still ok. I did this and the clutch did not slip. He says that the MX6 and 626 has slow releasing diaphram in the clutch assembly. Is this true and can anybody help me with more information ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Civilized clutch

The problem you speak of is common with KL platform MTX cars. I have a 93 626 and experienced the same "slipping" during fast shifts. The clutch was built for smooth engagement so it doesn't have the bite necessary for quick shifts. As with everything in life, there are drawbacks to a strong clutch including, increased pedal effort, sudden engagement, shortened flywheel life, and price. However, in my opinion, the stock clutch was not a very good match to the torqueiness of the 2.5L and the low 1st gear ratio. I've since upgraded to a centerforce DF and I love it. The engagement is strong but the pedal effort is as soft as stock. It is a street disc which will save some wear on the flywheel. I don't think it could handle forced induction or nitrous but for stock to basic bolt-ons it is perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts