Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am going to bring up the life long question, can we have a rwd mx6 2nd gen. i will find a way to do this, been throwing ideas around with a buddy and he thinks the the 2.5 DOHC supra tranny should be able to bolt up and use that rear axle, possible? need ideas and thoughts on this subject so i can get it rolling and will keep picks and details as the project comes along when its started.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not to be a total Negative Nancy but, would it really be worth it? If the mx6 were RWD from the factory...they would probably be a very sought after car. I totally understand why you want to do this and if you pull it off then props! Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Just a quick question. Where is the RWD trans supposed to fit? There is no transmission tunnel. Theres a tunnel for the exhaust and shifter rods but it's narrow and short and it dosnt flare out at the front for the bellhousing.

Keep in mind that the car was designed to be FWD and is proportioned so.

Even if you cut up the floor to make room for the trans look at where the motor would end up. Almost completely in front of the front wheels. Especialy if you intend to put the supra I6 in there.

A RWD car with a huge front weight bias will handle like crap and will be slower in the 1/4 mile than a similarly powered FWD car.

If you want to convert a FWD car to RWD buy an old Ford Focus and get one of the kits sold by several companies to convert it. Of course it'll handle like crap and be slow in the 1/4 but atleast you wont be wasting years trying to make it work with a different car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
^ like he said..
Weight distribution would be the biggest factor.
Alsmot makes it pointless to make it rwd, unless its purely for bragging rights..

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Why the hell do people keep bringing this up? It bothers the shit out of me. It's a neat idea but just enjoy the mx6 for what it is. Making it RWD will throw a TON of things out of whack anyway. The weight distribution will be screwy, the suspension isn't designed to be RWD, and the brakes would probably also become an issue.

There is a RWD Probe on PT. He is a fabricator and he installed a 2jz into it and converted to rear wheel drive. Check out how much work is involved and convert that to $$. Totally NOT WORTH IT unless you do it yourself.

A few pics of my new project - ProbeTalk.com Forums

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your looking to do some sort of swap in to a rwd car, My vote instead of the mx6 (Pgt for me) would be do the bmw e30 v-12 swap, its already rwd. I got to drive one and those really go, still have the handling and you can drive it around town if you want.
I remember when I first got my 1g mx6 I thought to do the same thing, but basically like noted above, your killing the fun that these cars are to drive.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
there is a guy that lives about 40 minutes away from me has a 97 turbo ZE as his DD and tucked away in the back of his shop is a 95 he bought new and did hella fabrication but he has a 351 clevelend tucked under...and over the hood and of course RWD... this guy is at least in his 50's though

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Word :eek:

Just a quick question. Where is the RWD trans supposed to fit? There is no transmission tunnel. Theres a tunnel for the exhaust and shifter rods but it's narrow and short and it dosnt flare out at the front for the bellhousing.

Keep in mind that the car was designed to be FWD and is proportioned so.

Even if you cut up the floor to make room for the trans look at where the motor would end up. Almost completely in front of the front wheels. Especialy if you intend to put the supra I6 in there.

A RWD car with a huge front weight bias will handle like crap and will be slower in the 1/4 mile than a similarly powered FWD car.

If you want to convert a FWD car to RWD buy an old Ford Focus and get one of the kits sold by several companies to convert it. Of course it'll handle like crap and be slow in the 1/4 but atleast you wont be wasting years trying to make it work with a different car.

^ What he said.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I actually wondered what our 6 would be like if they offered an AWD version ?
personally, I think the 2g mx6 would be simply awesome as an AWD.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That seems doable in a couple of configurations. Unfortunately the most desirable in my mind is AWD + 5 speed + V6.

But the V6 AWD cars wera all autos. You can get a 5spd trans for the FS from some european 626's and jap 3rd gen Proteges.

The jap Cappella (626) wagon from our generation came with AWD but is apparently related more to the GD (88-92) awd platform and fairly different compared to our platform.

Mazda did build a prototype Capella with a 5 speed awd V6 KL-ZE and twin turbos but it was never produced.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
i think it would be a cool project. i was thinking a miata rear end with a lengthened drive shaft, but u would probably have to widen the rear axles too. just my thought

or maybe even an rx7 drivetrain? hmmm......

·
Registered
605 Posts
I never knew they even offered the 6 in an awd platform and I wouldnt mind if it was automatic so much, but I do agree the optimal configuration would be manual.

I think the ultimate version of the 2g6 would be: awd w/ 6 speed manual V6 :D

That seems doable in a couple of configurations. Unfortunately the most desirable in my mind is AWD + 5 speed + V6.

But the V6 AWD cars wera all autos. You can get a 5spd trans for the FS from some european 626's and jap 3rd gen Proteges.

The jap Cappella (626) wagon from our generation came with AWD but is apparently related more to the GD (88-92) awd platform and fairly different compared to our platform.

Mazda did build a prototype Capella with a 5 speed awd V6 KL-ZE and twin turbos but it was never produced.

·
Registered
939 Posts
they never offered 6 in awd... he is referring to other mazda models that you could use the tranny/drive systems from.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts