Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/3 of the mx6 dashboard lights are out. does anyone know any online tutorials on how to change them?
And do you have to disable the airbag?

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
HI, welcome to the site. Well you may want to try trolling through these sections, as I'm quite sure there is a "HOW TO" of this already
2G MX6 Projects/FAQ - MX6.com

^ I wasn't able to find one though. Good luck searching.
And no for the record you absolutely do not need to disable your airbag, if the light is on, there is a problem with the airbag itself.

I'd walk you through it myself, but its been two years since I've last had an mx6, so I forget how exactly. I've done it before, so I think I remember how, but here it goes.

First thing you have to do is remove the bezel that surrounds the gauge cluster & vents all the way down to the climate controls, it just prys off. Use a flathead screwdriver, and it'll snap off, HOLD on to those clips as they are loosely attached, and are very easy to lose, and very hard to replace. Next up put it down somewhere where it will not be stepped on or kicked.

-Then grab a medium (number two) screwdriver and remove the three black screws that are holding in the actual instrumentation panel. (I'm pretty sure its three, maybe four or five). After that, the gauges will be loose, but still wired in. You can pull the guages out and slightly angled so you remove the wiring connectors for the various points on the panel. Press the tabs holding in the connections, and pull them out gently, they should slip out without too much effort. If you have to yank on them, dont... instead put more pressure on the securing tabs, then try again (repeat as neccessary for all of them)

your gauges should be free, and you can twist off the little green "tabs" that hoister each bulb. Hopefully you remembered which ones needed to be replaced. So go through them as needed. The dummy lights are a very very small bulb, not much bigger then a mini-headphone jack. The main gauge lights are much bigger, along with a bigger green hoistering socket. You can get both types of bulbs at any automotive store, probably 5 for $5 or so.

After your done, reverse the steps and re-install. If that is all unclear, ask and I'll do my best to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts