Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ebay item; 4595306491

As it says on the link above, i bolted the box to the side of a 2.5 Ze engine which fittted with no problems, but the mx3 driveshafts has 28 splines and the box has 30. So we had to swap in the mx3 box. Im a bit unsure if this is actually a mx6/probe gt box?? We did get a set of driveshafts for a mx6 from breakers yard and these also had 28 splines ??.

Box did not come with engine was brought separately.

Any ideas ??

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
The 6 orignally had 28 Garfy.. then changed to 30 spline, but not certain of year. So if you manage to pick up some 30 spline driveshafts, your onto a winner.
Q. If you still have the mx-3 box on, hows the gearing ? i'm thinking the mx-3 has a smaller final drive ratio than the 6 .. gives you great accelleration but lower top speed ? ...

Must check this later when i get home, sure i've read it somewhere ..

Oddy..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to get hold of a 30 spline shaft but time was running short so we went for the mx3 gearbox to solve the problems and get things moving. I wanted to use the mx6 gearbox because it has a longer 5th gear as it tops out at 155mph it would also drop my 5th gear rpm by about 500rpm. Where as the mx3 is quite short and tops at 144mph. So there is a bit of fuel saved on motorway journeys on the mx6 box. But a sacrifice in 5th gear pick up so there are pros and cons really. Cheers for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts