Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

Im looking at buying a gen 2 MX6 years 91-96 right?

I'd much appreciate any buying tips you guys could give me.
Like what are problem areas to watch out for etc, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am in Australia.

I take the hint that the second gen mx6 was 92-97 so no one else has to point that out to me now:) thx

ODIN

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Thinking of buying V6? You might wanna check out if there is J-spec engined one available... It's got 200 hp vs. standard Us- and E-spec's 165...
I haven't had any major problems wit it. Still you might wanna have a good eye-balling around the car you are buying. Actually I haven't heard of any typical problems with sixers.
Hope this helps
Mici

G

·
they r great cars, but just can be expensive if u hav problems. i had the problem with the rear left brake caliper seizing up, similar to the US. Also, my steering rack stuffed up on me. but all parts of wear & tear, i think.

I just sold my MX-6, but they are great cars, especially if u want something unique.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
621 Posts
For what it's worth, I've just spent $2000 AUD on service bits after 100k.

Firstly the belts - a full set of belts replaced for $700

Then split cv boots - means new cvs and axles, also because they leaked at the race track new bearings as well $800
Both rear calipers seized.

Front Brake pads (bendix ultimates) $300.

But I LOVE this car anyway!!!!

So if the car is getting towards 100k be prepared for something like this.

Also, from preference, go for the 95 update version, you can distinguish these most obviously from the wheels. They fixed a bunch of problems with this version apparently.

Cheers

G

·
My mx6 had 180000kms before i sold it, and had no major probs up until bout 170000. But after that, it just went downhill, u name it, it stuffed up, being the major reason behind my sale.

when they are going they r great cars.

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah right now I have an 86 ST162 celica.
Great car but I'm having the same problem. I paying hand over fist in repairs. It has 220000 k's on it.
From what i've heard the mx6 is the only real DRIVERS sports car in my price range. Thats why I'm after one.

The cheapest quote I got was from NRMA they wanted 2700
to insure a 93 mx6 for 16500. So I may have to wait. I'm damned if I keep my old car and im damned if I go after an mx6 argghhh!

cya

1 - 8 of 8 Posts