Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, managed to write off my 97 full leather mx6 after 5 years of trouble free ownership. I blame the new baby and 3 hours sleep. Ironically i wrote it off while taking it to have a brand new calliper fitted, so if anyone needs a right hand rear calliper still in box , just pm me for my address and lets say 40 quid and ill post it to you asap.

So now i need to get a new car, torn between accord type r and mondy st220 anyone have any opinions on these two cars as i really cant make up my mind. mondy would be top of my budget accord cheaper but prob more mileage with it.

been keeping half a eye out for a nice j spec mx6, but seem to be non existent these days.

cheers all

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Given the choice between the 2 cars you mention I would go for the Accord all day long. Really hold their value, sought after, power when you want it + economy, roomy family car with sporty appeal and bullet proof build quality.

I dont think the mondy ticks many of those boxes.

·
Registered
859 Posts
well, crazy as it sounds, i would go for the st220. They are a really good car, solid, they just have aFord badge is all! dont get me wrong, Accord is a great car too, but i think you get more for your money with the Ford, for similar reliability....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caliper now sold , thanks.

Well went for a Accord type R, 52 plate 58k miles, Black. V.nice

First impressions. Engine takes a bit of getting used too, not as smooth as the mk6, and no-where near as nice sounding, especially with the scorpion exhaust i had. In slow traffic i found the mx6 easier to drive, as my accord has a slightly notchy accelerator, which i intend to get sorted.

Speed wise, i would say when not in vtec its a similar speed, but as soon as i hit 5800 revs, the accord is alot faster, especially in 4th. Vtec should ideally kick in at 5k revs though, by the time it kicks in in 4th your already going 80'ish. And in 2nd (my favourite gear ) not hitting the rev limiter and switching up in time to not drop out of vtec is quite a art. MX6 easier in that respect.

Still got allot of love for the MX6, and the accord has not endeared itself to me as much as i thought it might, Time and getting acustomed to it might change that though.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Good for you. I have a soft spot for Honda's - real precision vehicles they are. If you don't mind me being nosy how much did you get that Honda for?

Ben.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heh i got it very cheap, sub 3k just. But it had been in a cat D. side impact. It had been fully repaired ( newdoor) had a mechanic check it out, and did a HPI check, it got the alll clear from mechanic so i snapped it up. Was filthy when bought, but cleaned up beautifully no real scratches just 1 or 2 scuffs on bumpers. Drives v.well.

Although i got it cheap it needs a fair about of work doing on it. Belts, tensioners 2 new tyres. All fluids change. about 600 quids worth. But will be well worth it. ( wont be doing it at honda)

Dont intend reselling so not too worried about catd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts