Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Excuse me, I have lost the thread!!!

But once a while, I discussed about weight of 626 sedan and hatchback versus MX6. I just wanted to share with you that one of the reviews claims that MX6 is heavier than both.

Mazda MX6.COM

Check the Wheels (MX6 vs Prelude) article at the bottom in relevant section. On page 3 has Honda Prelude photo. Check the right edge column and you will see the information.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The amusing thing, it's the same in the 1g as well as the 2g..

The hatch weight less.. and you could get a turbo hatch with less goodies (moon roof/aas/etc) makeing it weight even less.
A stock 1g GT weighs 2700 lbs, yet some how, my hatch only weight 2400 lbs..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The amusing thing, it's the same in the 1g as well as the 2g..

The hatch weight less.. and you could get a turbo hatch with less goodies (moon roof/aas/etc) makeing it weight even less.
A stock 1g GT weighs 2700 lbs, yet some how, my hatch only weight 2400 lbs..
2400 lbs? You must be kidding :) That's seriously skinny!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
To be fair.. it isn't exactly fair..
my 626 GT --
- previously wrecked, and then cobbled back together.
Previously an ATX, now a Manual, but not the standard H5M transmission on the 1gen GT, rather the non-turbo G5M (same as the 2g mtx, and just about every FWD MAzda 5 speed up through Mazdaspeed protege).

1.The G5M is lighter than the H5M.
2. No sun roof
3. No AAS
4. No 4WS
5. No RSTB or lower Tie bar (all of like 10 lbs there)
6. And it is rather noisy on the highway.. I suspect it is missing some sounds deadening material.
7. The 626 hatchbacks are lower than the 626 or mx6, as they have different springs, and the roof is 3/4" lower than a standard 626, inspite of that it has a 2" longer wheel base.
8. Doesn't have the motorized/automatic climate control, nor the spoiler.

Overall the Hatchbacks are lighter than coupes or sedans, but the frame is more flexible, so handling should not be quite as good.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
lol
meh
wheels can have their theory

everything else ive read and personal experience says the mx6 is lighter than the 626.

So until there is more than just 1 article on it ill stay with that thanks.

edit:

ok ive found more info claiming the weight of 2672lbs for a 93 626. 4cyl. no 4ws.
then more stuff claiming the weight of a 92 mx6 to be 2775 lbs v6, 4ws.

interesting they are actually pretty close.

but I'm pretty sure the v6 + 4WS weigh more than 100lbs extra.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lol
meh
wheels can have their theory

everything else ive read and personal experience says the mx6 is lighter than the 626.

So until there is more than just 1 article on it ill stay with that thanks.

edit:

ok ive found more info claiming the weight of 2672lbs for a 93 626. 4cyl. no 4ws.
then more stuff claiming the weight of a 92 mx6 to be 2775 lbs v6, 4ws.

interesting they are actually pretty close.

but I'm pretty sure the v6 + 4WS weigh more than 100lbs extra.
This issue may sound a little bit open for argument and the weight of MX6 or 626 differs with equipment greatly. If the car does not have ABS, Moonroof, 4WS, AC, ATX, etc, it gets really light.
But the mentioned article points about the structure of the cars, rather than their loaded equipments. I am 100% agree that the hatchback is not as stiff as sedan and coupe, though. May be that's the point, if Mazda had wanted to make its frame at the same stiffness level, hatchback would have been really heavy.
Cheers!

·
Registered
426 Posts
i actually looked into this a while back, here is what i found using redbook.com.au (these are australian figures but there would be little to no difference in weight for same spec across the world):

base 626 manual V6 sedan - 1235kg
base manual hatch - +35kg
auto instead of manual +35kg
4ws (in telstar tx5s) +50kg

the 2.0 engine was 35kg lighter than the V6.

all equipment is assumed to be the same for all instances.. that is they (variants) all do or dont have abs, etc

so the heaviest 626 u can get is an auto V6 hatch telstar tx5 with 4ws (for the americans - telstars are fords version of the 626, almost identical but was offered with 4WS) with a total weight of 1355kg

however more weight (8kg) was added after 94 across the range of the 626/telstar models.

with the mx6 (no 2.0 variant included since they weren't available in Oz)

mx6 manual 2WS V6 - 1210kg
and in this case (who knows why its diff b/w 626 n mx6), auto adds 45kg
and 4WS adds 50kg

heaviest mx6 possible is auto 4ws and weighs approx 1300kg

so a 4ws V6 mx6 manual like mine would weigh approx 20kg more than an average 2ws manual V6 626 sedan. but a 2ws mx6 would be a slightly different story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts