Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 V6 MX-6 1994. It starts up, runs, but very roughly. I have tried setting the timing by the book, but after tightening the dizzy, it misfires when giving it some gas. I have sparks on all 6, but no power on accelleration. If any one can help, I would be greatly appreciative. Many thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you checked for oil around the plug caps? If the VC leaks, oil accumulates in the sockets, surrounds the insulators and shorts the spark to ground.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be a daft question, but what is the VC? I am new to the forum and the acronyms used. I am reading up on them,but it is a lot to take in. I have checked all the plugs, none have oil or fuel on them, the HT leads are giving a strong spark to all the plugs, the dizzy has just been replaced after it was only firing on 4. Please help!

·
Registered
380 Posts
VC is valve cover.

Hmm I was actually going to suggest the dizzy.

How does the car idle? There may be a nice little vacuum leak somewhere. Check the air box hose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
charged the battery over night, and the car runs better, could this be anything to do with it? Going to carry on charging it, then retime it. hopefully that will clear it. If anyone has anything else to try, please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not worked. Found a broken vacuum pipe, from air box to EGR Vent valve solenoid. How could this affect the advance? It isn't a misfire, but a late spark on harsh acceleration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried replacing the spark plug wires? Bad wires tend to work erratically sometimes. Also try checking the fuel injectors, pump, lines etc. Assuming you've checked for spark throughout the whole RPM range, it sounds like a problem under load, which could mean not enough fuel. Last and least probable, should I dare say it? carbon build up? :\

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have sorted it now, The HT leads were shot, I have replaced them, the Disty, plugs and fuel filter. I also ran a bottle of "cataclean" through the system and dropped the co emissions from 0.57% to 0.18% meaning a very good pass on its MOT!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
HT leads?

·
Registered
894 Posts
High tension lead? Isn't that an English term for spark plug cables/ignition wires?

·
Registered
605 Posts
this was happening to my late mx6, and it happened to be a combination of the wires and plugs. I cant say for certainty this is the same problem as your experiencing, but it sounds exactly like what was happening to mine. (idled fine, and slow acceleration was fine, but once you gave it some heavy footing, it bogged and choked)

the guy I sold it too replaced the wires, plugs and bought a better distributor, and it runs perfect now. (he did have to adjust the timing some, as it was set poorly)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts