Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's make a long story short: I am looking for a new car. I have been a Honda geek for quite some time, and am very used to their pretty much fool proof reliability. How does the MX-6 compare? My thoughts are that it is a car that needs meticulous maintenence, and it will be a great, reliable car. Am I far off the mark by saying this? I need a car that will start every day, and get me to work, and that I can take out and have a little fun with it after work.

Reliable? Or should I keep looking? Honest opinions please!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you make sweet love to it, she'll rarely break down. The biggest problem of actual 'breaking' is the distributor. Aside from that, they usually won't leave you stranded. Make sure the regular maintenance is done, and you'll be good. Timing belt/water pump/timing components/accesory pulley bearings every 100K miles. Rest of the stuff is regular maintenace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly distributor related problems eh? Sounds like a Honda, except that there dizzy problems are like once every 3 years. Does this sound familiar? Or is it a REALLY common thing. You know, like once a month. Like a period? And then it just turns into a nagging, bitching, whore?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
well got my mine at 216k. i have no one thing bad to say about the car. its starts every day.. first turn of the key, hot or cold. it drives on the highway like your own a cloud, very easy on gas, my clutch has given me no problem.. very easy to drive.. and i understand these mazdas will go forever if yo utake care of em. had people saying they were over 400 000 k and going strong.

I traded my honda crx for my mx6, and i have NO regret. love it.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Anything after 130k miles id seariously look deep into the maintnence on it. Id say its reliable, but at the same time it can be a hassle.
Things to look for would be The following repair/replacments : timeing belt, timeing belt hydrolic tensioner, water pump and thermostat. All of these are located in the same area, and generally the most common to go bad (on the V6)
Id also check into the distributer for models 93-94, I believe after 95 they changed the design wich solved the problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
91turbo666 said:
which model are you thinking of clubdownforce? theres the newer sleeker looking 2nd generation mx6 (92-93 onwards) or the older 1g mx6.
There is a 2g V6 in the FS forum nearby that I am interested in.

Cheap to maintain is not really a problem. Just as long as it is reliable as long as I keep it maintained...

·
Registered
339 Posts
KING6 said:
Anything after 130k miles id seariously look deep into the maintnence on it. Id say its reliable, but at the same time it can be a hassle.
Things to look for would be The following repair/replacments : timeing belt, timeing belt hydrolic tensioner, water pump and thermostat. All of these are located in the same area, and generally the most common to go bad (on the V6)
Id also check into the distributer for models 93-94, I believe after 95 they changed the design wich solved the problems.
Yep. 93 and 94 have the most disty failures. Not every month, but after 5 years they start going buggy.

93 and 94 are best for modding, though, because they've got interchangable ECU wiring (compatible with J-spec ECU's), and they are OBD1, so you can do whatever you want to the computer and everything, as long as you pass the emissions sniffer test. OBD2 you need to keep the stock computer, or you won't pass the emissions code scan.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
i get mostly above 26mpg with my Ls v6 :shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW:
I have a 97 with 140K, only oil and filter since I bought it at 85K.
My other mazdas (626 and Protege) had wheel bearing problems and were hard on tie rods. I have never had a front end problem yet.
The stock muffler isn't cheap, you can add a performance one cheaper.
The CV boats always crap out, replace every 2 years and your front end will last longer.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
rhilker said:
BTW:
I have a 97 with 140K, only oil and filter since I bought it at 85K.
My other mazdas (626 and Protege) had wheel bearing problems and were hard on tie rods. I have never had a front end problem yet.
The stock muffler isn't cheap, you can add a performance one cheaper.
The CV boats always crap out, replace every 2 years and your front end will last longer.
Well said, pretty much right on key. I replaced my muffler with a pacesetter just because it was cheaper.....and louder.....unfortunately lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good car, only thing I've had to replace is the rear calipers, apparently in Wisconsin the salty winter roads like to destroy the rear calipers. Other than that runs great with 128K. Good autocrosser for the weekends too }) Like the other guys said though make sure you know what you're looking at, either ask for maintenance records for the front end or make sure you know what you're looking at and can tell if parts have been replaced. Both CV axels have been replaced on mine before I bought it. No major problems, I get about 27-30mpg and tend to be a "spirited" driver. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we all enjoy ours!!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It all depends on it's past owner(s). I've seen both ends. If it was well taken care of, reg maint being done, all should be good. Give it a good look over paying attention to the tranny shifting (syncro's) engine noise and roughness. Check the CV boots, rear calipers (parking brake), check the engine for any signs of leaking oil from the Valve covers, or oil sending unit, check to make sure the wire harness hasn't been spliced or screwed with, check under the dash where the pedals are for rust. Most importantly, pull the oil disptick out and look at the oil, make sure you ask the owner how often he changes the oil while your pulling it out. Pay attention to their answer.
I have owned 3 for personal use, I have only been stranded on the side of the road once... 94 ls, ignitor problem. Replaced disty. It still runs great with over 170K on it. My friend owns it.
If your comparing them to Honda or Toyota, they require more maint, but then again, they are faster. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts