Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Jersey, USA, and I have a dark green 1994 MX6 V6. The paint on the hood is all "spidery" (spider-web looking scratches). It's not particularly horrendous, but it's noticeable when I wax the car. Some other spots are a little "dull" like the clear coat has warn off. Are these paint problems common? I'd like to get it repainted. I guess I could get it done at a Mazda dealership, but I'm wondering if there are options. I'll probably just go with the original color, and I don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money. It doesn't have to be showroom quality, but must be at least as good as a new stock paint job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the same problem

I have a red 94 and I see those little spider webs all over the car and nothing seems to get rid of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it to a bodyshop and the guy told me he would have to strip it down to the primer and start over. So basically its gonna run me about 1700.00 bucks to repaint the whole car. Ain't that a bitch!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My paints the same (93 Green MX-6), along with a million stone chips on the hood. It seems alot of people have had a problem with the paint, especially on the hood. The paint on my hood roof and truck also seems to get oxidized quickly as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yeah my car has the same problems. It is a 93 green mx6. My hood has a million chips and the hood, roof and trunk have faded i guess due to the sun. I think that the ford or mazda paint whichever was used just sucks. The rest of the car still looks pretty good though

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yeah, my sixer was sick too!

My car was black when I bought it. It looked like shite when I bought it year ago. The car is '93 LS V6. So I just wanted it repainted and I even didn't like the color. Well I sanded it up and it was painted in my dads body shop. I think it would be costing an arm and leg otherwise.

My point is that when it´s done (it might have been free but took a month time and every f...ing night) it is worth it. Maybe you´ll get it cheaper too if you can take off some parts and strip it out by your self.

Mici

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They didn't fix the problem by '96--mine has the same crap. Spiders--essentially small cracks--and easy chipping. A reputable bodyshop looked at it and said it looked like there was some fault in the painting process. Nothing short of a repaint will solve it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the problem is the cheap ass paint they use mine did the same thing and still looks like on the tops of the car, it sucks the paint is thin and well u know it sucks, but u can help it out lot by using a body scrub of a strong cleaner(polish) that will remove some if u take the time( lots of time) to rub them out i did and it still looks not the best but know one can tell jsut me, make sure u polish your car at least 2 times a month, use that strong cleaner every time u do and then put on a polish i use mothers cleaner wax ( that stuff rocks) people all the time ask me if i just got car painted cause i spend sooo much time waxing a polishing it, take the time and your ride will look sweet got any ??? about what to get just hit me back aight sorry this was long

·
Registered
925 Posts
This happens in all Mazda Mx-6's as far as I know. Someone told me that they painted the car in high temperature buildings and when they get out the paint stretches and creates these chips.. "crows feet" anyway I used to have them on my car but not anymore.. im glad though I hated that... I got in to an accident in the summer 100% not my fault and they repainted my car for $400 CANADIAN... cuase the rear was damaged.. and I told them to repaint the whole thing. Now I love the new paint job it looks like new.. The best thing to do is get into an accident that is simply not your fault.. or scratch your own hood with a key say its vandalism.. and insurance pays for it... :)

I do not want to put any sick ideas in your head.. but good luck...

New paint job pics:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Guys, the biggest reason that the hood has all those spider webs and cracks is the same reason the distributor fails, the excessive heat from the engine bay. The paint that was used was never intended to deal with it. Happened with the BMWs when they started putting the larger engines in also. If you get it repainted just make sure you go with a very good quality paint. I'm preferncial to House of Kolors, but it cost a grip.:)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Near any big city you'll find some junkyards, and some body shops around there that compete with each other. This is where you'll find the magical sub-$1000 repaint, and u can provide them with the paint if you want good quality stuff...I know junk yards in newark, nj do a pretty good job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts