Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of an issue...

My 2nd Gen ATX MX6 seems to have lost a bit of power...

I find that while im in gear driving i find it slower to pick up speed, also at standstill while in gear the car seems to pulse...vibrate...

The car idles at about 500 rpm I know it used to idle higher.

Also in Park I find the car to idle funny, It used to idle at 1000rpm or higher and now seems to idle below 1000 roughly at about 500 rpm also.

This began to happen last night while driving i noticed the change suddenly.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem.

If so is it serious?? HELP

·
Registered
160 Posts
check plugs and wires, it happened with my atx v6 also, and i got mine replaced with NGK wires and plugs, and worked just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
same prob

hey. my 94 atx is having the same problem recently. i took it into the shop and they said one of the boots on my plug wires was bad (they only last about 50K anyways and my car has 53K) and so i have new NGK ones on order. i'll make sure to inform u as to whether or not it worked.

brenda

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
if its still doing it after you replace wires... check the disty... in any case, it definately sounds electrical

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey. got my car fixed. it ended up being the catalytic convertor. it was slowly getting clogged and slowly got worse the more i drove my car. anyways, i got that replaced and i have my 160 hp back and its great (of course now my tires are going to get a lot more wear from the increased power). and i beat a civic si yesterday with exaust, intake, aluminum flywheel, clutch, short shifter, headers, the whole nine yards....haha...that'll teach him to try to mod a slow car.

brenda

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
kewl

I had the same prob.. so I hollowed out my cat completely... quite the difference in the feel, and the sound of the car

cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its a 93 V6 auto.
I, too, am having the same problem. The car seems to have enough power to jump when I start it up after letting it sit for 5 or 6 hours. But soon after while driving it, it seems to have trouble getting up to speed. My O2 sensors are shot and it still has the original plugs and wires (88k miles). Do you think my cat is clogged too? What should I do to get it back to the 164hp that it runs so great at?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Xamboni said:
hey. got my car fixed. it ended up being the catalytic convertor. it was slowly getting clogged and slowly got worse the more i drove my car. anyways, i got that replaced and i have my 160 hp back and its great (of course now my tires are going to get a lot more wear from the increased power). and i beat a civic si yesterday with exaust, intake, aluminum flywheel, clutch, short shifter, headers, the whole nine yards....haha...that'll teach him to try to mod a slow car.

brenda
in your AUTOMATIC??? wow, so much for VTEC!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
well if your 88 chrysler can take out civics then im pretty sure a V6 auto MX6 can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ya..it's a v6 atx....the first run, we were pretty much even (but i figure our cars wieghed about the same b/c he has 2-12" subs and 2 amps in the back and i had all my school books and softball gear). the second run, i beat him off the line, my back bumper never past his front bumper, tho (so i didn't horribly crush him). and after i reached about 65, he started pulling on me a bit. but i still figure w/ all the money he spent on his car, its funnie that my stock mx can still beat his.

brenda

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
MastaMX6 said:
well if your 88 chrysler can take out civics then im pretty sure a V6 auto MX6 can.
were talking about a civic Si here...

my chryslermobile takes out 102HP civics and POSs like that. pretty good considering it has a 3 speed auto...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts