Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK People Im shitten briquettes...

My 2nd Gen ATX MX6 has lost power...

It idles crap it drives crap. All developed over night.

I cant drive it, when i take off it takes extream time to lift doesnt change gears.

It idles at ~500 rpm in both drive and park.

I need ideas in what it could be so i can start to solve the problem.

Ive been told it could be my Spark Plugs & Leads. If so what are the costs of Leads for the MX6 (at the moment i got genuine Mazda leads.)

Also how much are replacement plugs??? :(

If anyone has ideas what else it is could they also let me know...coz my baby is cryin' and so am I.

·
Registered
886 Posts
How does your car sound when it idles ? Does it sound like the engine is "missing" ? Stand next to your tail pipe and listen, that's an easy way to hear. My plug leads also crapped out on me, and it also happened suddenly....uneven idle, no power, and wouldn't rev above 4,000rpm. A new set of Mazda leads should be approx. $160.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Losiho said:
How does your car sound when it idles ? Does it sound like the engine is "missing" ? Stand next to your tail pipe and listen, that's an easy way to hear. My plug leads also crapped out on me, and it also happened suddenly....uneven idle, no power, and wouldn't rev above 4,000rpm. A new set of Mazda leads should be approx. $160.
Sounds like mine....sh!t $160, is that supply and fit or just for the leads???

Im taking it into Mazda to get looked at!

Just could do without all the hastles now :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Darko - Not sure what the labour charge was to change the leads. I was lucky....my leads failed at 59,800Km ! So I just booked my car in for the 60K service and the dealer changed them for me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You were right...

I took it into Mazda and they said it was the leads and the plugs.

Its sending me back $140 for leads, $35 for plugs

Comeing to a total of $325 for the lot including labor and engine tune.

Dont know if its costly or not.. ?

·
Registered
886 Posts
$325 ? Is that including a minor service/oil change, or just changing the leads and a "tune up" ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what was done straight off the invoice:

* Checked For Engie Running Rough
* Checked for service codes
* No Codes Evident
* Checked Compression (O/K)
* Checked Cam Timing (O/K)
* Found High Tension Lead Set Faulty
* Replaced High Tension Leads
* Checked Spark Plugs
* Replaces Spark Plugs
* Engine Tune
* Replace Air Intake Duct

Labour $132.00
Parts $193.60
--------------
Total $325.60

Put it this way its running un-farken-real now. :)
It actually runs alot better than prior to the problem, Im actually glad I gave the money for the work done.

If anyone is wondering I took it to Essendon Mazda.
Not to mention I wasnt aware they gave lifetime warrantee on all parts and workmanship. Good to know.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hmm....sorry, but it sounds a bit expensive and unnecessary to me ! Why did they have to do a compression and cam timing check ? When I took my car to service (Max Kirwan) I told them of the problem (rough idle, won't rev, etc) they instantly told me it was probably a plug lead and would give me a ring to confirm. I left the car at 8:30am, and at 9:15am I got a phone call saying it was indeed the spark plug leads that needed changing. Labour charges came to $200, including the major service (oils, coolant, brake fluid, filters, etc).

What was wrong with your old air intake duct ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old air intake was cracked and missing a chunk...

As for what I got done I asked around today and I seemed on par....the cost seemed reasonable...i was quoted an average of +/- $10 at 3 different places for the same work so im happy...doesnt look like i got wripped off...

·
Registered
886 Posts
No dramas then....a sweet running MX-6 is a good thing !

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She works unreal...

MX6s dont deserve to be sick or mistreated, Ive seen a few beat up 6s in the past few days...

How can people allow them to get into such states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts