Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just took my 6 to a local mechanic (who I trust in work) to do some work

I expected to only change the valve cover gasket, as oil seemed to be seeping, and maybe expect the timing belt. the mechanic raised the car up with me there and inspected it, telling me what he saw. I barely remember everything he said, but it all summerizes to this:

750-800 (includes labor) for a 3 job fix: timing belt, 2 fan belt, something to do with cam sealants, valve cover gasket (and maybe something else, I will update when I get my reciept with the written descriptiong back).

if I chose to, he said the head gasket could be my only fix at the time, solving about 40 percent of my oil leak (leaks). which would be around 125 (including labor). However, I wanted the whole problem to be fixed at once, cause in the future I may forget to do what needs to be done.

anyways my question is how is the pricing on that? Too expensive? Am I getting ripped off? I realize this job may be exceptionally cheaper in other states, but keep in mind I live in California, mainly bay area or los angeles, but really I am in Santa Barbara at the moment, and stuff in santa barbara seems to be way cheaper than the bay area. (tint job for back 3 windows was straight up 150 here in Santa barbara, in Bay area was quoted 200-250).

thanks for your insights!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I definitely wouldn't say the price is out of line for the work you've listed... there are alot of parts and even more time involved in those jobs.

However there are a few issues with what you've said:

1) The MX6 uses electric fans and does not have any fan belts
2) When you said "head gasket", did you mean valve cover gasket? You didn't list head gasket in your 3 things above. If so, he is correct... it should fix most of your oil leaks.

The timing belt replacement is not needed to solve the oil leak problem. If you are unsure of the age or condition of yours, it would be a good idea to replace it. I would ask the mechanic to explain why he thinks yours needs to be replaced.

If you are mainly concerned with the oil leak, get the cam gaskets and valve cover gaskets replaced... nothing more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) The MX6 uses electric fans and does not have any fan belts
2) When you said "head gasket", did you mean valve cover gasket? You didn't list head gasket in your 3 things above. If so, he is correct... it should fix most of your oil leaks.

The timing belt replacement is not needed to solve the oil leak problem. If you are unsure of the age or condition of yours, it would be a good idea to replace it. I would ask the mechanic to explain why he thinks yours needs to be replaced.

If you are mainly concerned with the oil leak, get the cam gaskets and valve cover gaskets replaced... nothing more.
1. head gasket = valve cover gasket? I saw those two were interchangable terms. I've seen mx6 forums do that and even mechanics say valve cover gasket or head gasket, when they seem to be refering to the same thing. I'm guessing "head" refers to the main gasket.

2. sorry I meant the cam belts? someting that rhymes with fan, cam, ham, lamb. the two belts that are on the side, wrapped around the cam? (I dont know much about engine).

sorry, I didn't mean timing belt as part of the problem of the oil leak. I meant that since he was going to take the valve cover off, the mechanic can just change the timing belt while he's at it for less money spent on labor. (cause I'm the third owner, and I have no known record of the car and also it is at 135k miles).

basically, it's oil leak fixes, plus anything else that should be fixed while he's at it those oil leak fixing locations that will save labor money. I was about to have him do waterpump too, but he said the waterpump seemed fine to him during his inspection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update: I called the mechanic to see if he was done, and he said he is almost finished. Through further inspection (because I asked him before if the waterpump was bad) he said the waterpump was bad and he replaced it. so I'm expecting another 100 or 200 on the total? ouch, but it'll be nice not to worry about it in the future.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
The valve cover gasket is between the valve cover and the head... it is a relatively easy replacement.

The head gasket is between the block and the head, and involves the removal of the head and pretty much everything attached to the motor. A much more difficult job.

As far as cam belts go, the timing belt goes around the cams... if you mean the two accessory belts on the outside of the timing cover driving the A/C, P/S pump, water pump and alternator... then yeah...

The water pump should always be replaced when doing the timing belt job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.