Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well I have recently purchased a 1994 Mazda MX6 from my uncle for $3000 CDN, quite a deal for this car I am told, and even better because my Uncle is the type that psychotically maintains his cars. Before he sold it to me he put on a brand new set of Toyo Proxes FZ4's on all four and had it detailed for me ^_^

Now there are a few things I would like to do to the car, just to fix the FEW SMALL problems with this car, before any serious ones may happen to pop up.

Ill start with the simplest, the trunks hydrolic thing's that hold the trunk lid open don't seem to work, so if you don't know beforehand, its easy to get a wake up smack on the back of your head when you go in to get grocies. Is this something I could easily do myslef? WIll the hydrolic things from pretty much any car that are the same size work? Whats the cheapest way to fix this little annoyance, since its just an annoyance, and I honestly think even putting 30$+ into it is too much :p

The second, and from what ive read, this isn't a big problem. Quite often when I first start the car, it will make a ticking noise. It seems people say its not a problem, and certain oil additives can fix it for good, but I just wanted to make sure this is the same tick. The only time I can hear it, is when I am idling, and usually not after a long drive, but just after a start. MY car is kept in a garage all night, and parked underground at work during the day, so the engine is rarely ever started from a temperature of below 15 celcius...

In Canada, whats the best stuff I can get to stop the noise? and where is the cheapest source ^_^

Third, and this only started probably over the last few weeks, Ive noticed that at slow brakes, (not hard brakes, or ones done at a high speed), there is a very slight squel coming from the brakes. Is this just a sign I should replace the pads soon? Or possibly just a part needing some grease? Im a big enough noob that I don't know what that means :( But not such a big noob I can't change the brakes if thats all it will take ^_^

Fourth, I am a man that enjoys a drink, and occasionally this will result in a girl driving my car, and my drunk ass, back to my house. Ive been getting a LOT of comments that my clutch is "short' compared to most standards, is this a common comment/style with this car?

Fifth, my clutch squeaks when I engage it, its not a squeak from the engine, just a squeaky joint on the peddle itself, can I simply put grease on this to fix it? Would this be advisable? I am always hesitant to put any kind of grease on a part that may need to be stiff...

Sixth, The drivers manual for my car says I should be shifting at the following points, 1st -> 2nd, 20km/h, 2nd -> 3rd, 35km/h, 3rd -> 4th 50km/h, 4th - 5th 61km/h+ . This seems insanely low? Although, the car will usually be at about 2000rpm doing 61km/h in 5th gear. Id imagine this is good for mileage, but is really limiting to the power of the car. What are the ideal shift points on this car for wearing my clutch and transmission as little as possible. This is my FIRST standard car, I don't want to kill it :(

Seventh, The drivers manual states that any fuel with an octane level below 91 potentially can damage the emissions systems of the car, is this true? Or am I wasting an extra 10¢ a litre? I really don't mind paying the extra bit if its true, but ive never noticed if past cars ive had said the same thing :) I know my POS chevy cavalier (dont remind me k) said not to use about 'standard' octane gas....

Eighth, Ive never driven a car this quick before (k I am sad but have mercy) and I would like to make this car a little quicker if I can. I think things like a turbo would be excessive, plus I am scared to death of any possible additional engine wear. Are there ANY performance upgrades I can make, which won't wear the engine more than the stock part, and additionally, won't change the sound of the car. I am COMPLETELY in love with the sound of this car, it sounds like a cougar when it gets revved up, its beautiful, I don't want to change the exhaust system at all for fear of losing this perfect hum, but if there are small things I can do under the hood that either don't produce noise, or will effect parts that do, into making different ones, what are my options ^^ (goddamn what a long sentance).

Thank you for reading all that if you did :) Here are some pics of my MX6 below ^_^

http://silo.stoofoo.net/images/062305/mx6.jpg
http://silo.stoofoo.net/images/062305/mx62.jpg
http://silo.stoofoo.net/images/061805/mx6.jpg

One last note, I have heard people say that these cars are identical to Ford Probes, but my car seems to look a LOT different from probes? Are the parts really all swappable? Or with my model (94, MX6, V6 Mystere engine, LS) are there only certain models that will work? Ive had comments that Mitsubishi also makes a car that is highly swappable for parts for this car, but I can't recall the exact model number, does that possibly ring any bells?

Thanks everyone ^_^ Quite a first post eh ;')

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
wow quite the post there. does he get and extra biscuit for such effort? :D i gave karma

well ill give you answer to the fuel one. umm is that 91 octane RON? ive seen so many discussions on what fuel to use and so many people put the cheapest ass fluid they can in their cars and its rediculous. pay the extra few bucks per tank and get some clean burning fuel. better for your car and the environment. that and a brick under the pedal. wow i sound grumpy :damnmad: ----> :) im really not

as for performance upgrades, no turbos just yet. start with the basics. make sure the car is properly serviced so that everything is in order. change all the fluids, oils, power steering, filters are always good to change as well, replace oxygen sensor. umm other guys will fill you in on more. but yeh before you go for more power, make sure your car is working as good as it can without bolting on upgrades. as for upgrades, start with air filter (cheapest) and then exhaust (not so cheap - but worth it), theres plenty of things to go on already before upgrades so yeh hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Make sure everything is tuned up. I must say, your car looks extremely clean. How about some interior and driver's side shots? ;). And yes, *nods* much applause for the post especially being a new member. Keep in mind search is your friend. Just to warn you before someone else starts bashing haha. You can goto any auto parts store and find the hydraulic lifters for your trunk. Hell, you could even build your own.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Silo said:
One last note, I have heard people say that these cars are identical to Ford Probes, but my car seems to look a LOT different from probes? Are the parts really all swappable? Or with my model (94, MX6, V6 Mystere engine, LS) are there only certain models that will work? Ive had comments that Mitsubishi also makes a car that is highly swappable for parts for this car, but I can't recall the exact model number, does that possibly ring any bells?

Thanks everyone ^_^ Quite a first post eh ;')
oh and in relation to this you will find severel types of cars here which use the same engine -

First Gen. Mx6(squarish look), 626, TX5 use the same engine

Second Gen Mx6 (youve got), Probe

·
Registered
395 Posts
DAMNIT i had a nice reply going and hit the back button on my kb.... oh well here goes again.

In regards to fuel my opinion would be to stick to super i ran regular once when the prices were insanely high and my car ran like shat, and smelled like shat too =/

In regards to the ticking, seems everyone has it, i however am one of the lucky ones who only gets it when my oils really low, so as long as i stay on top of my fluids its fine, maybe your engine burns a bit of oil too just keep on top of the level.

in regards to performance, when you say you love the sound of the exhaust wait till you hear a Borla cat back on our cars sooo sexy. Start of with an intake and exhaust system and work your way up from there.

lol about the clutch, i learned to drive on mine and it had a racing clutch in it so tell them to quit whining about the short clutch., oh and the noisy pedal, i had that for a while too, dunno it just went away try some grease i guess

Shifting, dont worry about it i shift at minimum 3500-4000

Ahh well that killed some time while im at work

good luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'll help with a couple:
the trunk struts can be had cheapest from www.rockauto.com (I imagine they will ship to Canada) for about $25/pair USD. They should say that they are for trunks with spoiler and about $12.80 each. Maybe Canadian tire would have some also for cheap.

Since you're in Canada you have access to a great synthetic engine oil. Esso XD-3 0w30. This stuff is about as good as Mobil 1, but even cheaper. You might have to go to an Esso dealer, or large walmart to find it, but it performs very well. The ticking noise has to be the HLAs, which are not a bid deal, as you say they stop after driving a little while. The synthetic oil should help quiet them over time.

You can shift at whatever RPM you want. These engines are designed to rev freely for power and the only detriment would be to your gas mileage. Just be sure that the engine is warmed up (it takes about 10 mins to warm up your oil, even though the water temp is warm in just a couple) before you go to higher RPMs. As long as you are not slipping the clutch or grinding when shifting gears, you will not be damaging anything.

You can safely modify your engine for a little more power without sacrificing longevity. The big things that would hurt it, would be a turbo and N20 (nitrous oxide). Little things like intake, exhaust, etc can actually help your engine be more efficient and get better gas mileage, if you keep that right foot under control.

Reactions: Silo

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah mx-6 is geared really low i've been in 5th at 20mph before... great for in town gas mileage as far as trunk struts i'd get those replaced because i've seen multiple posts about them bending or rusting shut and the trunk being un-openable. that's all i have

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
91turbo666 said:
well ill give you answer to the fuel one. umm is that 91 octane RON? ive seen so many discussions on what fuel to use and so many people put the cheapest ass fluid they can in their cars and its rediculous.
TO be completely honest if its 'RON' I am not sure? How would I be able to tell, and do only certain gas stations offer it or is it fairly common? Generally, I usually fill up a Petro-Canada, because I get a small discount from the normal gas price there ^^ But if its better to go elsewhere, hey, I don't mind spending a little more to keep this car running ideally!

91turbo666 said:
as for performance upgrades, no turbos just yet. start with the basics. make sure the car is properly serviced so that everything is in order. change all the fluids, oils, power steering, filters are always good to change as well, replace oxygen sensor. umm other guys will fill you in on more. but yeh before you go for more power, make sure your car is working as good as it can without bolting on upgrades. as for upgrades, start with air filter (cheapest) and then exhaust (not so cheap - but worth it), theres plenty of things to go on already before upgrades so yeh hope it helps!
A comment about how you said change the oil. I should be using synthetic oil in this car right? Ive had mixed answers, some people (who mostly drive domestics) seem to think that any oil, as long as its the right rating, will work basically as well as any other, unless you buy REALLY cheap (gas station top up) oils.

Any recommendations for air filters? K&N? or are there better ones?

Thanks for your help so far!! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RevZempoe said:
How about some interior and driver's side shots? ;)
I'll go take some interior ones now that I have my deck installed today. Its nothing fancy but stands out more than the stock deck ^_^

Here are a few more, Im sorry for anyone on dialup whose connection I may have bogged :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
john101 said:
Maybe Canadian tire would have some also for cheap.
Perfect, I will check out the big one here to see if they do! Thanks :)

john101 said:
Since you're in Canada you have access to a great synthetic engine oil. Esso XD-3 0w30. This stuff is about as good as Mobil 1, but even cheaper. You might have to go to an Esso dealer, or large walmart to find it, but it performs very well. The ticking noise has to be the HLAs, which are not a bid deal, as you say they stop after driving a little while. The synthetic oil should help quiet them over time.
Is it alright to run synthetic in the winter as well? Im sorry if thats a really noobie question, but going into a Canadian winter here soon, I want to be sure ;)

john101 said:
Little things like intake, exhaust, etc can actually help your engine be more efficient and get better gas mileage, if you keep that right foot under control.
Any recommendations on the best starting point, or brands/specific parts you've found work well? Nothing beats experience :)

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Silo said:
TO be completely honest if its 'RON' I am not sure? How would I be able to tell, and do only certain gas stations offer it or is it fairly common? Generally, I usually fill up a Petro-Canada, because I get a small discount from the normal gas price there ^^ But if its better to go elsewhere, hey, I don't mind spending a little more to keep this car running ideally!
Sorry RON MON and PON (pump octane number) are ways of rating the anti knock index of a fuel. each rating will give you different numbers

RON MON PON
90 83 86.6
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.8
105 95 100
110 99 104.5

or similar

i *think* you guys use PON in which case yeh i would recommend at least the 91 octane fuel. (which is equivalent to the 95 octane we have). i wouldnt use the 87 if its equivalent to our 91 cos using that fuel its pretty obvious the car does not pull as well. any car really cos i use 98 octane ron in all our family cars as well and they pull better. hope that answers your question

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
oh and as for the oils you use that would be best to ask another canadian as im assuming your winters are going to be a lot colder than ours :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
awww he blurred the plates :( and i was looking forward to stalking another mx6 buddy :angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts