Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so ive had the car for about 6 weeks now and have found the little probs and the good but I have a few Qs that you guys could help me with.

1) Fuel guage, when the fuel light comes on and stays on, my one flits depending on wether im going up or down hill, roughly how many gentle driving miles are available before konk out?

2) Do the Uk cars with cloth seats have heated seats? im sure my drivers seat warms up at the back on cold mornings, am I imagining it?

3) Sometimes tho rarely i get an odd smell come into the cabin ( no not me farting) only briefly, is it the cat? the clutch isnt slipping so i dont think its that, could be from other cars im not sure.

4) The steering makes a very gentle rumbling sound especially at stanstill, is this a future problem or is it normal, very slight i may add.

5) Brakes sometimes judder up through the steering wheel on cold mornings, not always just sometimes, then goes away, even on gentle braking, discs? but they look ok.

Anyone?

M

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hi Marty,
I can only comment on a couple through my own experience:

1. Mine does the same when I let it get low. However, as my gauge never reads correctly I tend to drive by the mileometer and fill up after around 200 miles. The tank then usually takes about 40 litres, meaning that I should realistically get anything up to 300 miles from a full 60 litre tank. The fuel light usually comes on at around 250 miles.

2. Sorry, I've got leather ;)

3. Is the smell a bit like rotten eggs / a sewer? If so I'd say it's the cat. You'll most likely smell it when reversing into an enclosed space like a walled driveway etc. If it's in slow traffic it could well be someone elses.

4. I hope it's normal - mine does the same. :)
Very slight rumble and lifts the front when turning at rest.

5. Try spinning the wheels by hand with the car jacked up to see if there's any sticking. If so, it could be a warped disc. (Don't forget to chock the car first though...)

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Agreed with ken.

Dont know on the heating??

One thing on the breaks. They do tend to rust up after rain, it's only surface rust . So if you get it just for the first couple of times you press your breaks then it goes away it could be just that surface rust. ( you tend to get a slight noise aswell)

Take a look at your discs before you drive. Obviously the longer the car has stood the worse this will be.

Turning the steering wheel at standstill will cause the noise you are on abouit IE power steering pump under load.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Hi Marty,

Well like the other replies ...

1. Fuel Guage.. I have been slowly working out just how much is left in ours when the light comes on, and stays on. I have run ours for about 20 miles with the light on, and like Ken says, still only manage to get about 50-55 litres back in her.. so in theory, still having about 5 litres in there, equaling a gallon (+) and so about another 25-30 miles. So OURS ( remember, guages tend to be slighty different in each car) will do approx 50-60 miles when the light first comes on.

2. We too have cloth seats, and no, no heating.. but if you look under the seat you will see the heating vents for the passenger footwell... so if you have your control setting to just feet, then yes you will feel the effect of the seat being heated as it puts hot air out to the passenger footwell.

3. No Smells ... what does it smell like ..

4. Our steering rack also makes this sound .. like a rachet sound.

5. Can you feel the judder through the pedal ? Like MX-6 says, could be dirty discs from rust etc.

Hope these and other replies have helped to put you at ease with these points.

Mr Bumble :smokin:

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The definitive answers... :D

1: The sensor is not in the middle of the tank, (as on most cars) when going uphill, the fuel level at the front of the tank is less, so the gauge goes down slightly.. and when low on fuel, the light comes on. perfectly normal... expect about another 30 miles.

2: heated seats will have switches in the centre console at the side of the handbrake.. usually an option on leather over here, but scandinavian countries would have it more than us.

3: if the smell comes more after giving it some stick, then it's the cat, and that is normal.. should smell like rotten eggs.. anything other type of smell and we need to know.. especially a burnin smell.

4: common problem.. this is the thrust bearings in the struts.. actually, it's a round nylon washer, and allows the strut to turn with the wheels.. only solution is to clean and lubricate... normally this means you have to dismantle the strut.

5: most likely it's surface rust.. if the brakes are fine after the first few braking motions, then you have nothing to worry about.. if it carries on permanently, then it's probably a warped disk.

Most of these are quite normal for us, and so you can put your mind at rest Marty..

John

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really thanks guys, your right all of you my mind is at rest now, if these are the worst of my worries and they seem to be nothing to worry about seems i did ok for my £1200...eh? Bargain..touch wood. Im still going to tidy up the plugs, leads and dizzy tho just for the sake of knowing they are ok. Going to get a nice Momo steering wheel today as the Scooby WRX one (Nardi) im using at the moment has to be returned to its rightfull owner, a WRX. One thing on that guys, once youve used a wheel like these the standard one seems soooooo big and clumsy, its an easy mod and IMO well worth it, just modify the boss slightly to accomodate the Cruise control.

Tas

M

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Einstein said:
The definitive answers... :D

4: common problem.. this is the thrust bearings in the struts.. actually, it's a round nylon washer, and allows the strut to turn with the wheels.. only solution is to clean and lubricate... normally this means you have to dismantle the strut.

John
Just one point on this one the strut bearing (thought the thrust bearing was around the clutch :)) this normally makes a clicking sound when turning your wheels at slow speeds or stationary rather than a rumble.

;)

martyg said:
One thing on that guys, once youve used a wheel like these the standard one seems soooooo big and clumsy, its an easy mod and IMO well worth it, just modify the boss slightly to accomodate the Cruise control.

Tas

M
Like this?
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60075

:D

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
double post

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steering Wheel
Looks nice mate, yes mines done similar but I have the CC mouted vertically, in the same way as the origional. I will get a pic done.

Rims

Nice too but i didnt want 19s I want smaller ones to help me with tyre cost.

M

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just posted similar in the Economy thread, but i got 265 out of 45 litres, that pretty good isnt it? In thoery i could get as much as 90 more on combined driving, seems a lot tho. Also im not sure if i mad myself clear before, when i mention the light coming on, i mean STAYING on, regardless of camber or gradient, I havent let that happen yet, but im gonna risk it this time just to see. hope i dont overcook it and conk out.
On the steering wheel, would you believe it, i had picked the momo wheel from halfords before xmas, went to purchase it yesterday, and over xmas they have removed all steering wheels from stock as apparently the werent selling, bugger, need to find another supplier in Bmouth.

M

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
martyg said:
hope i dont overcook it and conk out.
Why not carry a can of fuel on your test... ;)
On the steering wheel, would you believe it, i had picked the momo wheel from halfords before xmas, went to purchase it yesterday, and over xmas they have removed all steering wheels from stock as apparently the werent selling, bugger, need to find another supplier in Bmouth.
Which Halfords? Have you tried the one near Tower Park?

Ken

·
Registered
900 Posts
martyg said:
Just posted similar in the Economy thread, but i got 265 out of 45 litres, that pretty good isnt it?

M
Thats pretty good mate, I get about the same from mine. All motorway driving at 75-80 mph. I have got 300, but i was doing it as an experiment and ony driving at 65mph. Mind you I have also managed a massive 175!!! On the Isle Of Wight a few months ago, I was driving everywhere at 5500 rpm. Good fun, but not so good on the wallet!!

Will

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then i must be realk boring mate, I got that with my normal driving manner.

lol

m

1 - 14 of 14 Posts