Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! i'm trying to fix up an MX6 that hasn't really been driven for about 5 years. It can still drive and every now and then i move it out of the garage and warm up the engine. It makes a loud 'clacking' noise when turning because the axle needs repairing. I still have a fear of carrying it on the road.
Any tips on stuff that I could do to fix her up a lil bit and ensure that she wont shut down on me?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
depending on where its been stored you might want to inspect brake lines for rust, so at least you can stop...plus the calipers (esp rears if your car is pre 95) to see if they're seized.

in all honesty you're just going to have to fix the obvious stuff (axle etc)...drive it and see what happens. Sometimes cars that sit that long become an endless problem because everything seizes up over time....

welcome to the board!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Drain and replace ALL fluids, including the gas.

Brake lines should probably be replaced just for safety sake

Replace seals on master and slave - they become brittle and could fail easily.

The clicking you hear is the CV's on which the grease has probably degraded to the point where it has become useless. You will have to replace them as you are aware.

Check your earth/ground points for corrosion and replace/clean up.

^ as vandejm said as well...

Good luck and welcome!

Reactions: vandejm

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
^Mmmhmm. Mice are not nice...ice...rice...thrice...twice...weiss...ok im done.
Heres an example. probe - 97 ford probe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks i'm feelin at home here already, and by the way there was mice so i basically have to check everything

so much for being lazy...

i think i'll post a picture of it, and every week keep u guys updated

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I'd buy that probe for a dollar, rip out all the unnecessary components, rewire everything to use megasquirt, drop in a ZE, work the suspension out, and have a fun lightweight car. :tup:
Haha I dont think he was selling the whole thing for a dollar...Im gonna go check it out and see if there is anything I need :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts