Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pushed my MX6 to the limit on a empty roard last weekend. 210 km/h is the max speed for me, there is a "cut off".
Here is what I get in every gear @ 7000RPM:

1 = 50 km/h @ 7000
2 = 97 km/h @ 7000
3 = 136km/h @ 7000
4 = 170km/h @ 7000
5 = 210km/h @ around 7000.. (cut-off)

I own a 1997 MX6 V6 Mtx with a Bosal muffler.. Bought it few month ago.

Is everyone having specs similar to that???

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
136mph is what it is for the v6.... like 118 for the 4cyl.

I think you match up just fine with that... but I haven't done the conversion.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ive had mine pegged at like 140. my speedo might be off though and i was on the highway going downhill for quite sometime. this is kinda off the subject, but anyone know top speed for a wrx? modded like mine is? ive never had the guts to take it up past 120. anyway thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I know it is not much higher than 120... It think you guys have an electronically controlled fuel-cut off up there somewhere.

I have read stories about Mustangs and WRX's going top speed and the WRX just gets eaten alive... and I know my car can do well over 140mph. Ask on the rex board.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I actually just finished talking about top speed at my job. 2 weeks ago I hit an amasing 140mph on my v6atx94. I just got a new water pump and pulley installed and just got a tune up and replaced my spark plugwires(one of them was bad). I broke my old record of 135mph. My auto takes a few mins to get up that fast but damn it was fun. Please note i did it at 3 am and on a strecth of road i know very well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fuel cut off is at 7500 rpm. I have dyno plots to prove it.

A STOCK mx6 mtx in good running condition will top out around 140 mph. I have seen 145 before in mine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
well i topped mine out at around 134mph but it cut out at 6500rpm in 5th. that sucks. i couldn't even go up to 7000rpm. i tried it 3 times and the same result.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
wrx6 said:
ive had mine pegged at like 140. my speedo might be off though and i was on the highway going downhill for quite sometime. this is kinda off the subject, but anyone know top speed for a wrx? modded like mine is? ive never had the guts to take it up past 120. anyway thanks
my friend and i were doing 130 indicated and it still had plenty of gear left.... i dunno about fuel cutoffs tho

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I had my speedometer reading a bit over 140mph, maybe 141. I didn't really look very long, seeing as i was going that fast. That was going very slightly uphill when I got the car two years ago. I have rarely been over 100 since then, but I imagine it's around the same still. This engine feels a bit stronger than the other one did.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I hae no mods and like i said it did take some time to get it up to that speed. I do not know how long the actuall road was that i did it on but it was not short. Also like someone else said at that speed I was not examining the speedo that closely so maybee i was not at exactly 140 but i know i was past the 135mph barrier. It was fast enought that the lines in the road started becoming on long a$$ line in the road:>

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe the cut-off only appear on the most recent Mx6.. For myself, i've been told that I may have a ford probe tranny due to the fact that I have high gear ratio...

By the way, this take some long time to reach 130mph.. 120 to 130mph is long.

I must also said that my car "must be" in very good shape because he only have 103 000km, and I just replaced the clutch, timing belt, all wire & plug for NGK.

·
Registered
679 Posts
JeanFran said:
Maybe the cut-off only appear on the most recent Mx6.. For myself, i've been told that I may have a ford probe tranny due to the fact that I have high gear ratio...

By the way, this take some long time to reach 130mph.. 120 to 130mph is long.

I must also said that my car "must be" in very good shape because he only have 103 000km, and I just replaced the clutch, timing belt, all wire & plug for NGK.
Youll have a higher top speed w/ the mx6 tranny. And EVERY year mx6/probe has a fuel cut-off at 7500 rpm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you need some maintenance too.. :)

there is a big difference from your 136mph at 6400 and my 131mph @ 6900-7000rpm. If your MX6 is stock, that may conclude that I have a ford probe tranny, or at least a different gear, no garage can even confirm that...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
StreetThisMX6 said:
Youll have a higher top speed w/ the mx6 tranny. And EVERY year mx6/probe has a fuel cut-off at 7500 rpm.
In every gear?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know this doesn't pertain to 1st gens but I had my speedo points straight down and I assume it was in the neighborhood of 150ish maybe a little past. That was on the juice and almost redlining 5th gear. I was too scared to try to take a pic cause you can't control the darn thing and the torque steer was crazy even at high speeds its there(only on nitrous though) boosting its just fine and I can reach 140 without a problem alibiet a lot faster than I used to.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts