Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising back home on SR267 here in Indiana yesterday about 5pm (with my girlfriend in the car and 3/4 tank of gas). I was in my laidback driving mode as I usually am with passengers in the car until I got cut off by some poofy haired lady in a red 96 or 97 Eclipse GS. For the next couple of stoplights I stayed behind her figuring it wasnt worth it since I only had about a mile left until I got home. At the third stoplight (which is about 1/4 mile before one of the lane ends) she took off REALLY slow and I was just rolling in 2nd wondering what she was doing.. Then the Eclipse lady gassed it hard.. a bunch of black smoke comes out her exhaust.. I gave it about half-throttle and I was keeping.. So THEN the final stop light before the lanes merge into one turned red. Instead of lining up behind her I pulled up to the right and made the challenge. Usually my girlfriend protests but for some reason she wanted me to race this lady.

Green light.. I ease off in first (not wanting to spin tires or spin the clutch). The Eclipse lady instantly gives it hell. I hammered down. We were just about side by side through first. I grabbed 2nd a little earlier than usual but I pulled away by a car length or so.. 3rd I gave a run to about 75 and then I shut it down.. she was about 2-3 car lengths behind me.. I couldnt tell if she had a MTX or ATX.

G

·
0 Posts
aww come on man....thats an easy kill....that doesnt even count! those GS's are slow....to be honest...

I raced a Turbo Eclipse and really wasnt all that impressed either...btw....those cars are JUNK....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I know it was an easy kill (even for my 4 banger).. But actually I thought it would have been a better race.. The GS's are supposed to be 140hp arent they?

But lately thats all there has been- easy kills (should I mention my Buick Park Avenue and Tempo GLS kills??) :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i remember my kill of a GS 5spd. i have a v6 auto with the stuff on it below. i was happy. plus my tranny was not working all the way right anyway. still he saw tail lights and my exhaust tip, and 4 ways. later

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Don't rag on Eclipse's too hard, the 1st couple of years of the 2nd Gen were junk, but they worked most the bugs out. I would be surprised if an Eclipse GS-T (or GS-X) in good condition (both are turbo) wouldn't give one of us GTs or LSs hell. That is a pretty fast car, I think they are also lighter.

My girlfriend had the sorry a$$ Chrysler 2.0, with an AUTOMATIC, and it ran pretty darn good (this was a GS). Of course she took real good care of it. It was a 1996. I was impressed at how responsive the auto tranny really was. It would NOT hesitate to gear down at any time (which it had to for that weak motor). She sold it in 1999-she had bought it new.

But don't get me wrong, I don't know how well it would have done against either gen of MX6s without the hot motors. I think an LS or a GT would have definetly stomped that Eclipse though. HEY, I just remembered, one night I was driving it with her, and we seen my buddy who had a 1989 MX6 GT on the highway. I was coming up on him about 80mph (not accelerating), and he was going about 70 (didn't know it was me), and he took off. He left us pretty good, we both got up to around 120mph--I can't believe my girl let me do that. He slowed down to see what he had raced, and realized it was me. We waved and said see ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts