Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a rush. I was coming home from work today, down I-10 doing 85, and I notice an almost stock green Z28, with Borla exhaust, getting on to the freeway, cutting off people left and right. Anyways as I pass him up, still doing 85, the jackass decides to cut me off. Let the ass kicking begin. I get right next to him and reved it, gave him the nice blow off pshhhh. He gives me a " what the hell was that" look. So he shots off, and I follow, slamming it into 3rd gear. At first he started pulling on me, like a cars length, damn turbo lag, but a full boost I started passing him up. We raced for a mile or two, I got up to 135mph until I backed off. I beat him by 2 cars, if you could only see the look on his face. The only thing that sucks is I blew another exhaust manifold gasket, and this one sucks because it stripped one of the studs on the head. Oh well it was worth it. Cant wait to get a T3/T4 turbo, and raise the boost some more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad, it was a 96 body style. I later ran into the guy at a Shell gas station, and talked to him. He was pretty cool, he asked what mods I had done, and I did the same. All he had was Borla cat-back, and a K&N cone filter.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
At first, I was thinking of throwing the BS flag, but looking at all of your mods, it could be done.

Ever dynoed that thing?

Good kill!! (I am assuming your are not BSing--I've read quite a few of your posts--you don't seem to be one).

·
Registered
666 Posts
The only thing I'm finding tough is dropping it in 3rd at 85 mph. Why in the hell would you do that? The car redlines at 90 mph in 3rd, you'll be way out of your powerband as well as being really hard on the engine/tranny.
As for the rest of it, I believe it for sure. Off the line a Z28 is stronger, they have so much torque down low, and RWD to boot. But, from a romp, with all those mods, yeah, I can see it.
Good kill man, I can't wait to start smoking some Z boys myself.

O

·
0 Posts
hey mportheadmp89 i know exactly how you feel about stripping out the hbead where the ehaust studs go in. that is what is wrong with my rex:( now there is a tap broke off in the head which is going to be a major pain in the ass to get out

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not bs. I usually shift at 6500-6700 rpm, no revlimiter, still havnt dynoed it. I need to replace a couple of things before I do, but Im estimating around 220-250 @ the wheels. It looks like I wont be able to do anything soon, I owe the IRS $900 bucks... dont ask.

G

·
0 Posts
Z28=very fast. Sounds like bs to me......But, if you really did beat the legendary Camaro, GOOD JOB MAN!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hey YZF, I can tell you are really holding back! I'm impressed!

On the 250 hp, that was just an estimate, and he has done a lot more to it than just turn up the boost.

Before I got my MX6, I was riding with my friend in his MX6 GT (1989 model--this car is the one that got me to loving MX6s!) and we raced quite a few cars in it (kicking their a$$es).

One night, there was a really clean about 1979 or 1980 Firebird or Camaro (it was at night). It appeared to have mods, but it was definetly clean, and it may not have had mods. Anyway, he was getting on the on ramp, and got beside us. I was like "Is he wanting to race?", Chuck was like, "yep...". He gave the guy a head start, and I was like "Go man, Go!" Finally, he nailed it, and we flew by him at like 100mph (we stared around 60mph or so).

I couldn't believe it! I know if it did have mods, it couldn't have been much. It looked like it had been restored or something--probably had the 305? Oh well, we beat him!

·
Registered
183 Posts
What hes done to his car is definately not 250 at the wheels worth. The LT1s are not as good as modern day LS1s but i still have to side with the camaro even if it was an LT1. ESPECIALLY if it had a borla and k&n. Hell my friend gained 25 horses with a borla and k&n on his tacoma, least thats what the dyno said. Why did we dyno the Taco, well its supercharged. Hes pushing close to 300 horses with that thing. Anyway a turbo 4 with a few tweaks here and there is not going to put 250 to the ground, and it is not going to play with the pure brute force the V8 has.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Gee...lets supercharge our truck with the stock intake/exhaust, dyno it, replace with bolt-ons, and see how much we gain. are you trying to make a point?

a stock air filter and exhaust will make a charged engine drag ass. tell him to dyno with the parking brake on and then without...how much does he gain?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
YZF-R1 said:
Anyway a turbo 4 with a few tweaks here and there is not going to put 250 to the ground, and it is not going to play with the pure brute force the V8 has.
youre right... a turbo 4 wont put 250 to the ground with minor tweaks (except mabe a DSM). read the mods, genius.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look, on my sig it only has a couple of my mods. Here are all my mods, engine only.
* port n polish head, portmatched intake & exhaust, 3 angle valve job, complete rebuild of valve-terrain: titanium retainers and valve guides
* rebuilt turbo consisting of: bigger turbine T3 specs, ported housing, at 12 psi
* Python Venom injectors, 25% more flow than stock
* HKS intercooler piping
* Apex N1 muffler with 2.5 inch piping cat-back w/o resonators
* custom chip, which removed rev limiter and raised fuel and ignition curve
* K&N cone filter, Magnacore 8.5mm wires, Denso Iridium spark plugs

This is what I have on my car right now. I dont care if you belive me or not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe you!

Last time I was at the track there was a 30th anniversery Z28 6spd. I never raced him, but he was running 14.9s all night around 95mph. I was running 14.5-7's at 99mph all night. So it's clear to me that MX-6's with the boost turned up are packing more punch at speed than a Z28, judging by my trap speeds. Also, I had some shitty 2.4 60' which is why my times were so slow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by YZF-R1
Anyway a turbo 4 with a few tweaks here and there is not going to put 250 to the ground, and it is not going to play with the pure brute force the V8 has.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ford focus fr200...i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about. not exactly a few tweaks though, haha.

G

·
0 Posts
Wayman-That camaro's driver did not know how to drive. An auto Z28 does mid 13's just by putting it in D and flooring it. I've seen way too many at the track do that. But the 6 speeds have alot of room for driver error.

G

·
0 Posts
A tough one to call but I won't rule out his kill. The LS1 has a flat ass torque curve and it is the corvette engine downtuned for the camaro. But import's mods are significant. 12psi race ported head upgraded injectors. With the T4 from thomas knight turbos he will really be out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts