Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This morning I tried to start my 93 mx6 ls, which was in the garage all weekend plus monday and it didn't start. It made a sound when I started it but the engine did not turn over, also I hurt the muffler make a sound when I started it. I was wondering if it is the battery? Since I didn't drive it for three days straight the battery could have drained.

Also I am going to try to replace the battery, does anyone know how to get it out of the casing?

Thank You For Your Help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Do you have a multimeter, if so set the volt range to 20V and check across the terminals for the voltage. A normal fully charged battery should be in the 12.7V range. If you don't you can always turn you headlights on. If they don't come on or are very weak, it's probably your battery. If they come on and fade drastically when you try to start, also your battery. If you can get your car started via jumping, check again across the battery terminals with the RPM's up to see what the charging voltage across the battery is. It should be in the 14.5V range. If it isn't there, then your alternator is not charging the battery. Sounds like the battery to me though, good luck.

Xeon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
autozone

If you can jump it, take it to an autozone... they'll test both your battery and alternator for free... if one is screw up then you can get it right there and put it in... not the alternator, unless you slip the guy some cash...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Thanks guys for your help.

It turned out to be the battery - I jumped started it with but not with ease because I had to depress the accelerator while playing with the key in the ignition. And now it works fine.

I wonder if it was the amp that caused the problem, since it is hooked up directly to the battery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
If you have an amp I'd be sure that the acc +12v input connection (called remote) is wired to you head unit blue wire, also remote. This will turn on the amp only when the headunit is on. If you have it connected to a constant 12v source then it will defintely stay on... all the time... and kill your battery.

Let me add to make this crystal clear. You has 3 connections to make the amp work. Constant 12v Power (wired directly to the battery WITH a fuse close to the battery, or you run the risk of burning up your car), Ground (make sure it's a good one using the same gauge wire as the power wire), and a remote lead 12v that comes from the head unit as described above. It should turn off when the headunit turns off... if not there's something screwed up in the wiring or internally...

[Edited by Gene/=/Splicer on 01-31-2001 at 04:24 PM]
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top