Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you all know, 235/40-18s will rub on an MX-6, even without lowering of any kind..... I am curling the lips of my rear fenders to correct this problem, or getting 225's... but the y do rub in the rear when you have someone sitting in the back and go over a dip in the road.....

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know..... Im switching to 225/40 18s which dont rub either from what I hear..... these ones i have on are just what came with the rims..... im tradin em in.....

Mike

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hey, it's an MX6, you shouldn't have anyone sitting on the back, i mean that's like doing wrong to them, they might develop back problems or osmething later on. HAHA

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I keep that in mind and only make my friends sit in the back on the way to the bar or whatever when we go out..... the front is reserved for the ladies... .... but then the backseat is big enough for some other things..... so i cant complain.....

Mike

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yep, 225/45 don't rub, I'm using them right now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
go with 225/40/18 these dont rub at all

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had 235/40/18 on my car with Ground Controls dumped onto trimmed stock strut mounts with a four-wheel alignments done immediately thereafter for about a year w/o rubbing problems even on rough roads at high speeds with passengers. When I swapped out the stock struts for Tokico Illuminas, I started to feel rubbing. When it came time to replace tires (that same month), I went with 225/40/18, had another alignment done, and haven't had problems since.

Rubbing depends on your wheel's offset as much as anything else, if not more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
what do they look like

I'm looking to get some new rims/tires. What do 18's look like? -- anyone with pictures? Can you go any bigger?

Alex

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't see any fitment problems with 19"s so long as you can find the right wheel offset and the right size tire.

As for 18"s, there are a lot of people on this board with 18"s. Search for pics.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've got 225/40 series. They don't rub at all

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
miker said:
I am curling the lips of my rear fenders to correct this problem, or getting 225's...
I remember reading somewhere (Bradley?) that rolling the back lips will compromise structural rigidity...thus probably wiser to go with narrower tyres and/or proper offset. Anybody here actually try rolling the fenderhausen with a Louisville slugger?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts