Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Lol, I was at a meet last night and some pics were taken of my car, and now, on the forum which the meet represents, I am being called a ricer because my steering wheel is on the right and because I'm not running hellaflush fitment. Just thought I'd share that. Here are the pics in question.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
To lessen the 'ricer' nonsense and, in my opinion, to improve the overall look of the car, I would ditch the shopping cart wing and get a trunk lip. Same thing with last gen supras. I just think they look dope with a trunk lip and no spoiler.

I'm not saying that I don't like your car. I do. I really do. I'm extremely jealous of you for having such an automotive icon. Just my opinion. No hard feelings 'brah' :)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
To lessen the 'ricer' nonsense and, in my opinion, to improve the overall look of the car, I would ditch the shopping cart wing and get a trunk lip. Same thing with last gen supras. I just think they look dope with a trunk lip and no spoiler.

I'm not saying that I don't like your car. I do. I really do. I'm extremely jealous of you for having such an automotive icon. Just my opinion. No hard feelings 'brah' :)
None at all, don't worry! :) But I will not get rid of my functional 3D GT-wing (This is a track car after all) for a lip spoiler that is purely aesthetic (which is what is essentially the motive behind calling someone a ricer: aesthetic only/non functional mods).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Ask them to race you around a track and see if they still talk all that [shizzle].
lol. that's exactly what I'll be doing. lol. the popular track around here is pretty short and when you're hovering around the 1 minute mark, you're pretty fast. I'd like to break through and be sub that. :)

PS.: "racing is over rated. There's no style in racing. It's all about the fitment bro." lmao

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Ditch that frog eye headlights, put a cover back on and retrofit a set of projector in those 99 Spec turn signal, I think that will make the car look much better :)

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
^ to the Spoiler comment - I was out with a bunch of buddies and some guy was bragging about how his truck looked so dope with his new spoiler on the back of the box. I yelled over to him saying that a brick of cheese would be more functional. I had the whole bar laughing at him. Needless to say I bought him a drink to soothe his bruised ego.

I agree that one of the RX7 look great without the spoiler, but it the thing serves a function as JoeyV says - it looks awesome them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I finally got the car weighed on the way back from that meet. It weighed in at 2620 lbs with about 120 lbs of extra stuff that isn't normally going to be in the car for race days. Originally, it weighed 2910, I've dropped a little over 400 lbs, I'm happy with that, but I'd like to lose another 100 :p

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
haha, no I don't but I should show you guys some of the products I work with in the other thread. :p

the "extra stuff" is the passenger seat which is close to 45 lbs, the A/C pump which is just sitting in the engine bay, the sound deadening which I should be removing shortly and a bunch of useless brackets and screws here and there. I will probably also be removing the passenger door card since the handle works without it and the window can still be operated from my side.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
To far away to lol. I hate red and would pick one of those up to be honest.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
December8th update.

Those of you who liked and follow my company (Elegance Auto Detailing) facebook page, you know that I've been pretty busy over the last few months. But now that I am taking a 1 month "vacation" (I'm still going to actually take clients, but I'm charging double price between December 15th and January 15th to "discourage" people from bugging me during vaca time :p) This means I will be able to work on my car a little bit more. I actually got to work yesterday.

I started mounting my V-mount to realize the brackets I made (Defined Autoworks bracket design) were not going to work at all. (works with their kit, but not with how I'm building mine) So I scrapped the whole thing and designed new ones. I made and installed them yesterday.

I made them out of 14 gauge steel rather than 11 like the Definaed Autoworks ones. This allowed me to shape them easier and increase structural rigidity by adding reinforcement bends.

One piece construction, annealed bends, metal screws security and mig welded for extra peace of mind. I don't think these are ever going to let me down. haha

Then I drilled the holes the rad would rest in, bolted them up to the car and test fitted the rad.

For now there are only 3 metal screws holding each bracket in place, but they will be welded in this afternoon.

For those wondering, that cylindrical radiator is my power steering cooler.

Here are the "designs" for the diverter panels I'll be making to direct air flow to the rad, intercooler and air filters. It's hard to tell with a 2D design, but if you have a good visual converter in your head, you'll understand what these mean :p

I sent the rad out for modification yesterday. (the 2 tubes where the coolant hoses connect need to have different angles) It should be back by Tuesday, at which point I will be able to keep going forward with the fabrication.

I am also in the process of ordering and receiving my brake parts. I have the Russel SS lines, ATE super blue DOT 4 brake fluid and I am waiting on my DBA rotors and Hawk HT-10 pads.

I will be updating again soon with the v-mount progress and other things such as the Lexan back glass and rear CF bumper.

teaser:

In the mean time, here are some recent shots of my car as it is now.

Note - I just noticed that some of the pics are not working earlier in the thread, so I'm gonna go back and fix some of those.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Well,I just got my rad back today. I must say I am very disappointed in the work, especially when considering that the shop was recommended by a big name in the steel industry and that this said shop has been around for 30 years. I am seriously contemplating picking up a TIG welder to match my MIG and just do the work myself and avoid the nasty surprises next time. Maybe even start making custom Titanium exhausts for those interested ;)

Anyways, here is the rad with the modifications.

I specifaclly asked to have the pipe roll bent, but he simply didn't bother and welded in a right angle. It will still work, it's just not optimal.

Here, I asked for a 45 degree angle, not 90, so I could clear the fan mount points easily.

Perfect example of the crappy welding....it looks like a dog gnawed the pieces together.

Anyways, once that was back in place, I could start designing the rear intercooler/rad bracket.

Here it is in place holding the rad only.

Then I sat the intercooler in there to start the design for the front brackets. Here, it's bolted only in the back.

A few pics of what the whole thing looks like from the front,

And here are the 2 brackets I made for the front of the intercooler.

Here's how everything sits now.

For now, everything is in place. I have ordered the couplers for the IC end tanks as well as the pipes. Going to do a bit of clean up later in the week and paint the brackets and strut bar.

81 - 100 of 170 Posts