Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

my 1st gen vs mid 2000 sti

909 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mops_telstar 
#1 ·
ran into this guy on the road and we started talked for a few seconds before we ran, told him im still tuning her and pushing about 18psi. he said he was running around 18psi, and thats basically all that was said....dont know what else he had besides exhaust.....so instantly we run from a roll about 15 mph lol, to around 90 so

i instantly hear him spool up and he ripped me in first without even launching. so he's off around a car and half ahead of me until the top of second i almost catch up. third gear is when my turbo finally starts to spool up quick, and by the top of third i had just over a car on him before i shut it down

my setup isnt done being tuned but is pretty close to it. it would have been a different story going from a dig, i probably wouldnt have caught up till around 110mph. but i was running ~210kpa on the hy35, pump gas ~16 degrees timing. i still need to find out what's causing so much lag in my lower gears.........i know i definitely need to up the spring in my wastegate to over 8psi, and not sure if my dsm bpv is leaking. but im pretty happy with the kill. hoping to trap 110 or more at my altitude this season :)

#2 ·
that is 1 fast 6!! I can't wait till it warms up and i can get my 6 back on the road for kill stories. It won't be easy to get kill stories in the vic. lol And get some videos of your speedo if you can. Like a 0-60, 80-115 or something. With every tweak or mod, i'm trying to make videos, so i can go back and visually compare.

#5 ·
just an idea with the spooling up. have you checked your air fuel ratios in every gear? we had a turbo vl holden commodore in at work with the same prob, we found that in every gear there was different amounts of load on the engine that effected the air fuel ratios. in the first 2 gears and part way through 3rd the A/F ratios were way lean causing a smaller burn in each cylinder which inturn caused a lack of exhaust to spool up the turbo. by adjusting the A/F ratios and a slight adjustment in ignition timing it spooled up quickly through every gear. good luk with it and nice work with the sti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.