Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fortunately I have made a few updates which include:
-GT thingy on the front fender
-a new grille (this is the original one, first I had one out of a 94 wagon)
-white faced gauges with red lighting
-17" BSA Racing rims
-smaller sportssteer
-shortshifter
-Mazda banner
-keyless entry (with the Vin Diesel RX7 Beep)
-modified E-spec blinkers which also function as sidemarkers

I really need to get it lowered now. But first I have to replace the rad because this one is really smoked. I have also found some fogs which fit in the original fender perfectly, I'll install them soon.

Now for the visuals:

This is what I would like to do with my tails:

GRZ JORDY

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
is that even possible ? a GLX version? or is that jsut a sticker
nice car all around man props

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
"GLX" is original mine is the same as his.
GLX is like you guys have the LX.
difference as far as i know to LX (which is your DX) is:
GLX has sprayed bumpers
LX has grey bumpers
GLX has "real" doorpanels
LX has plastic doorpanels and no sidepockets
GLX has electric windows
LX has handcontrolled windows

those are the main differences

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Europe had GL, GLX and GT versions (there might be others aswell, I'm sure Frank or Freddie would correct me on this one) opposed to US' DX, LX and GT.
And that is one great looking car.

Edit:shoot, Frank beat me to it already..

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen a GL:shrug:..
That shifter looks like honda accord's, it fits pretty good.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Whats that black thing after the gas tank??

Car does look great. Yes that shifter looks like an Accord or a 1st gen Eclipse

I sure hope my car settles more, it seems like your car is at the same ride height mine is. Except I have lowering springs.

What series tires do you have?? 215/40/17's???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats that black thing after the gas tank??
That litterally is my gas tank :D

I drive on LPG, Which means Liquified Propane Gas. I don't know if you have it in the states, but it's quite normal here!

Thanx for all the positive support!

GRZ JORDY

·
Registered
237 Posts
looks great!

Also interested in the shifter, like where you got it, how much , how hard to install.

Paint in the interior looks awesome , wonder what colour would suit my dark blue mx6.

·
Registered
737 Posts
iNTENSiTY said:
That litterally is my gas tank :D

I drive on LPG, Which means Liquified Propane Gas. I don't know if you have it in the states, but it's quite normal here!
Propane, huh. What do you have to do to the motor to run propane? I'm interested. I like the idea of alternative fuel sources.
I think I'm gonna make my GT a GLX, get a LX decal and add it to my G minus the T. j/k, that would be unique over here though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drsjr1980 said:
Propane, huh. What do you have to do to the motor to run propane? I'm interested. I like the idea of alternative fuel sources.
I think I'm gonna make my GT a GLX, get a LX decal and add it to my G minus the T. j/k, that would be unique over here though.
Well... I have a flipswitch on my steering wheel.. By flipping it I can choose between normal petrol or LPG. The original Gastank is still in place and so is the carb and everything else.
The LPGtank is in my trunk. It has al volume of 50 litres but you can't take more than 80% of LPG in it. The LPG is pressurized and so is the tank, this to keep it liquified. If I turn off the ignition the whole system shuts down and the tank gets closed totally.

In my engine bay there is a thing called a vaperator, this thing evaporates the liquified gas. The next step is quite simple:
In the housing of my airfilter there is a thing that doses the gas. This thing basically takes over the carburator function. The gas mixes with the air en goes through an empty carb right into the cylinders.
One thing shouldn't happen: if the petrol and the LPG get in the cylinders at the same time the engine will stall. So all the hoses from the petroltank up to the carb have got to be empty. There is a valve connected to the LPG computer that drains and shuts these hoses as soon as you want to drive on LPG.

Now for the performance part: There is quite some hastle about this. The FE DOHC engine is not fit to run on LPG. If you do this......in about 1000 miles all your valves will be shot.
My engine (the 2.0 12v carb) is very fit to run on LPG. You will lose about 3 km/h on your topspeed and wil have about 2% less torque. The 2.2i 12v engines are also very capable of running on LPG (about the same figures)

Now for the advantages: Simple, it's much cheaper! Some of you guys may not know this, but over here we pay €1,10 which at the current rate means about 1,40 USD for 1 LITRE!! For one litre of LPG I pay about 0,50 USD! the consumption stays about the same, so it's a lot cheaper!
PLUS: It's a lot cleaner! My car has over 3k in KM on it and still goes strong every day. LPG causes much less wear on the engine than normal Petrol.

About the shifter: It's a shifter of the brand Personal. I don't remember what it costed me, but I'll try to look it up!

GRZ JORDY

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey iNTENSiTY thanks for the info, I'm gonna look more into that. I am interested in the idea of alternate fuel, cleaner, cheaper, low power loss, it's a win-win on my part. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
And just when I though I've seen every type on mod on these cars. That's some really interesting stuff there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
drsjr1980 said:
Hey iNTENSiTY thanks for the info, I'm gonna look more into that. I am interested in the idea of alternate fuel, cleaner, cheaper, low power loss, it's a win-win on my part. thanks again.
That win-win situation you are talking about.....that's what's on discussion. There are lots of people that don't see LPG as a worthy substitute for petrol. That all depends on the car you have I think. If I just tell you about the engines I know:
2.2i NA--> This one runs great on LPG, no probs what so ever
2.0i 8v--> I don't think you guys have this engine, but we do here in Europe, This one also works great with LPG
2.0 12v--> This is my engine, I think the mileage on her says enough: 327.884 km!
2.0 16v--> It's murder on the engine if you try to run this on Propane. All your valves will be shot in about 1000 km.

For about the 2.2i turbo intercooler--> I don't know. The engine is in base the same as the 2.2i like we have it.....except for the turbo! I have never heard about a turbo engine running on LPG. So I don't know if it'll work or not. If I had one, I'd try it! I really want this GT engine, even though it'll probably be easier if I put in a 2.016v GT engine in it.

GRZ JORDY

·
Registered
28 Posts
HMMMMM?

That is very true about it cleaner. I work for home depot and the cat forklifts we use, have a mazda four cylinder motor that runs of lpg or has a switch for regular gas. The reason for this is if the lift is used on a construction site they will use gas for the reason being less hassle, but as we use it in the store it runs off of lpg, cleaner for the customers and employees.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the problem with lpg though is that it burns hotter and dryer

think of a lpg gas mixer as a carb

hence on the older carb motors your economy changes very little (i.e. forklifts etc)

take a modern efi vehicle and your economy will drop considerably - you are still infront compared to petrol if you take it easy but if you like to drive a car like a sports car then your economy will only be marginally better based on $ per km

then consider you need to keep your petrol tank atleast 1/3rd full to prevent condensation rusting it out, then factor in the weight of the gas tank (we all know how heavy your bbq gas bottle is) and you see the slight dilemmea with it?

overall yes its cheaper and cleaner and engines if built for lpg and running mainly lpg can last longer

having had a personal car on lpg - i tore it off and sold it and put it aside as a silly mistake - esp when we are talking sports cars here

btw, iNTENSiTY i'm not argueing with you - just my own opinions - i am not trying to start anything just giving my own experiences with it

·
Registered
514 Posts
iNTENSiTY said:
2.0 12v--> This is my engine, I think the mileage on her says enough: 327.884 km!
Do you have a pic of your engine? Cuz I have the 2.0l 8v and I am looking it to do the 12v head swap and would like to see the differences. Also do you know the stock hp and tq numbers for it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AusMX6 said:
the problem with lpg though is that it burns hotter and dryer

think of a lpg gas mixer as a carb

hence on the older carb motors your economy changes very little (i.e. forklifts etc)

take a modern efi vehicle and your economy will drop considerably - you are still infront compared to petrol if you take it easy but if you like to drive a car like a sports car then your economy will only be marginally better based on $ per km

then consider you need to keep your petrol tank atleast 1/3rd full to prevent condensation rusting it out, then factor in the weight of the gas tank (we all know how heavy your bbq gas bottle is) and you see the slight dilemmea with it?

overall yes its cheaper and cleaner and engines if built for lpg and running mainly lpg can last longer

having had a personal car on lpg - i tore it off and sold it and put it aside as a silly mistake - esp when we are talking sports cars here

btw, iNTENSiTY i'm not argueing with you - just my own opinions - i am not trying to start anything just giving my own experiences with it
This is what I mean when I say it's something a lot of people disagree on.....
I think it depends mostly on what car you had. And of course...if you want to drive a sports car don't let it run on LPG.....

Like I said IMO the Mazda engines are built for endurance and this endurance even gets larger when driven on LPG (except FE3).

No Offence meant or taken AusMx6!

This is a pic of the 2.0 12v engine....this one isn't mine, it's the engine of Dutch626:

109 HP @5300 RPM
165 NM @3300 RPM

GRZ JORDY

G

·
What is the standard air/propane ratio that a LPG motor has?

The idea intrigues me, on a fuel injected motor would you simply plumb the propane jet(s?) directly infront of the throttle body and remove the fuel rail and plug where the injectors go?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts