Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cool story. It happened this weekend (Friday night about 10pm). My girlfriend & I were driving along and I notice a very clean late model Mustang Convertable (body style before the 1990). I gassed it a little passing him, but he seemed not to notice. I'm used to this by now, as most sports cars will not race me. Well, I was a little disappointed, but then after I passed him, I noticed he started rollin up hard on me. We were going about 45mph, and he punched it, and so did I, and I hung with him until a red light. Looked over, that man was in his late 60s to early 70s!!! How funny! I said hi, and thanks for racing me, (as he was so old). He just kindof smiled and nodded (his wife waved from the passenger seat). My girlfriend was shocked, as she too, heard him nailing that V8. His car sounded sweet.

I drove off and took another 3 lane sreet, and it ended up once again, me and him side by side going about 35mph, he punched it, and so did I. I had thought he had an automatic, until I saw him downshifting to keep up. Anyway, he downshifted, and nailed it, and we stayed side by side up to about 80mph. Where we had to slow down cause of a red light and other traffic.

I felt GREAT! I thought that car would leave me in the dust. I'm sure had we gone much further, he would have walked off and left me around 90mph. But he sure didn't walk off and leave while we were racing!!!!

I'd be pretty upset if I had a really nice Mustang, and a little 4 banger rolled up, and hung with me. My car is totally stock with the turbo. Lucky me it wasn't an SVT!

Once again, however, this shows me even more so, why I am not a Mustang fan. My car is fast, but a Mustang should be MUCH faster. Don't you think?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The convertible that you raced weighs a couple hundred pounds more than a coupe version. Factor in the underpowered 96-98 engines and you have a Mustang that's not too hard to beat (believe me, I've raced plenty in my '89 MX6 GT and I also have a 93 Mustang LX 5.0). Keep in mind that there are lots of different configurations of Mustangs out there. You raced what is probably the slowest stock late model Mustang V8 configuration that is in existence (aside from a convertible w/automatic).

Not to take anything away from your race. Good story nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you ain't taking away any thing.

One of the main points to my story is the fact that Mustangs suck. Unless they are seriously modified.

I read one story one time about some dude in his brand new Mustang GT, he was all saying how he couldn't wait to "unleash" the full power of his Mustang's 4.8L V8 and all that.

My reasoning on that subject, if you are going to buy a sports car, it should ALREADY be fast. Especially when you're talking V8, and $25000. You shouldn't have to spend a few thousand $$$ to get a V8 sports car motivated. Take the TransAm, $25000, fast as hell man. FAST!!!! That is before any modifications.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"Yeah, you ain't taking away any thing"

I wasn't trying to. I said "good story" in a most sincere way. No need to get so defensive. Relax. Sheesh.....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not upset

Not at all.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I used to have a '90 Mustang LX 5.0 5spd. These things have NO top end. My 626 would seriously toast it on the highway, and it's getting close to what it could do at lower street speeds. Good kill though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jiffy, to respond to your 'reasoning'; for one thing, it's a big stretch to call a Mustang a "sports car". You just gotta see it for what it is: an overpowered, underchassied Ford Fairmont (bet you guys don't remember when the lowly Fairmont roamed the streets). Its only reason for existence is big dirty fun. Light chassis, good for building and racing at the track. It sucks as a passenger car, lousy on long trips, and sucks gas. It's virtually useless for anything else other than wasting tread on the streets. As for true "sports cars": hmmm.....anything that is a 2 seater (not necessarily fast).

Anarchy, I'm not sure what was wrong with your former 5.0, but mine has plenty of top end (as long as it's left in 4th gear). Like yours', my MX6 is very close to running the times that my Stang does (within a couple of tenths). The addition of an upgraded turbo will be all it takes to overtake the 5 liter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts