Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal for my 2nd/3rd (can't really tell) to kick hard when i accelerate? even when i'm going slo, it does the same. when i'm accelerating fast, it doesn't seem like it does. but when it's cold and my car just started up, it's worse. does ne one have the same prob? i'm wondering if nething's broken....

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello,

for some reason 2nd is jumpy on these mazda atx's. don't ask me why however it is a good idea to get the fluid drained and a filter put in. I also know that mazda transmission's get hot very quickly(so check your coolant and change it every year). I would get a transmission cooler installed it doesn't hurt at all. they don't cost much. I would do some searches here and probetalk.

cheers,

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Are you seeing that when you give it gas, the tranny revs up but you're not going anywhere and then all of a sudden it kicks in? if so, then your tranny is at fault.

If you havent already, start saving up for either a new tranny or to have it rebuilt because your ATX WILL GO @ around 70K miles.... sad but true...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Get a tranny cooler that will make your tranny last alot longer. get the biggest you can. get it serviced often, make sure they drian the fuild from the TC too. the tranny should kick like that means it workds right, when it start to rev a little between 2 and 3rd that is bad. later

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
hello...

First do a search on here, there has been a lot said about this. Second, i get the impression that this is a very sudden jerking, and thats VERY bad. Take it to the shop now! I know with mine that they didn't have to replace it, they just put in a new torque converter and fluid. They also had to reset the computer (duh) but most importantly they found some old notice about a problem that can occur with our tranny type, something about a program error or a slide/guide that doesn't work?? I really should have found out more about what they did but it was before I found the yahoo mx6 site so it didn't seem worth asking about.

All of those other suggestions are more like preventative measures. I would also suggest that you avoid using your hold button for any reason, and doen't race ALL the time especially up hills.
My 2 cents,
Cya,
Claeren.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you also may need a new case which isnt a part of the tranny rebuild its 600 bucks alone, what the case does is that it takes the tranny fluid and lets the fluid run in the diffrent parts o the tranny, i had my rebuilt twice and th ecase changed for free on my 93 atx v6, but its still shifts weird sometimes i will probably bring it back AGAIN.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the above post is from me but i wrote it under my gf's username by accident

·
Registered
10 Posts
My ATX kicks at the same place. I have just had my Fluid and filters change By the Mazda Dealer's here while they where changing a worn flexy plate.

The ATX transmissions aren’t half as bad as people on here seem to bleet on about. If you keep the trans serviced it will last as long as a MTX and that’s according to Mazda here. The problems occur only if you don't service the ATX regular (that’s most people), or show it no respect and drive it way to hard all the time in which case you really should own a MTX.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Monitor is right. When I asked this question a while ago the MTX owners told a whole bunch of horror stories and how i should expect the worst. Well, my ATX is still working great at 122,000 miles. It does kick from 1st to 2nd even at low speeds. I've learned that that it is perfectly normal behavior. Yeah it's probably true that the ATX's can overheat but I've driven mine pretty hard in the past and it's been able to take it. I change my oil every 3000 and I only use mobil1 for the tranny and the engine. ATX owners should probably also spend a little more money yearly by having their transmission flushed once a year rather than just the regular oil and filter change. I think it's odd how there are so many conflicting stories about ATX's. Some have claimed that it can really last but others just say it's a piece of crap. I guess it's really just in how you push your car and if you really want to push your car than u should own an MTX. But then pushing your car can break more than just your tranny won't it?which is how people get head gasket leaks and have oil leaks in their spark plug wells and so on.

G

·
Monitor said:
The ATX transmissions aren’t half as bad as people on here seem to bleet on about. If you keep the trans serviced it will last as long as a MTX and that’s according to Mazda here.
That's encouraging to hear! What is all involved in servicing other than changing the tranny fluid? My 6 is at 60,000 and I'd like to keep the transmission in as good a shape I can. Hearing that it's gonna "become junk at 70,000 miles" is kinda scary.

-matt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get your tranny flushed at least once a year. It cleans the tranny rather than just replacing the oil all the time + only use oils such as mobil1. I've heard people say really great things about redline oil, however I'm not sure whether that's really formulated for MTX's. Another suggestion would be to have a transmission cooler installed. Carparts.com has universal models which can fit most cars including the six. Overheating seems to be the #1 reason the ATX can give out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts