Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i just purchased my 1993 MX6 LS last week and everything is great so far, except fora couple of XFILES going on with the car..

1) Whenever i accelerate to a decent speed and the Auto is in 4th Gear and i let my foot off the gas pedal to let the car decelerate, the automatic hastily downshifts and there is a slight but annoying jerk, and the car slows down really quickly, ( the same effect as going from 5th - 4th on a manual when u are decelerating instead of just freewheeling ur car).

Also, as the car slows down somemore, and the tachometer touches the 500, the tach will suddenly bouce back up to 1000rpms. The effects are slight jerks that are almost unnoticable, but, ive driven alot of cars, autos and manuals and i know autos dont have this abrupt or confused shifting..please let me know if this is normal in the 1993 MX6 LS Automatic..or if its something else..

Also, when i got the car, the front tires were balding, but the rears were still fine, service records show a tire rotation 4 months ago, the problem is that the car (not the steering) vibrates at highway speeds ( 70mph >). Is this due to uneven tirewear, unbalanced tires or is it characteristic of the MX6. ( i used to drive a 91 MR2 and vibrations were characteristic of that car)

As u guys can clearly see, im still a wetneck with the MX6 so im going to need your invaluable advice..thanks a million!!

cheers
yunn26

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the mx6 auto shifts hard and decelerates fast, thats what all of them do, your car is fine

·
Registered
283 Posts
well bro I also have a 93 mx6 v6 i dont have the car shaking at 70 it drives very smooth, that maybe be worn out front end parts, tire roation. I have to agree with you about the shifting I also have an auto becareful of the tranny i rebuilt my twice second time was free under warranty, aim telling you if it shifts hard u need a new transmission case which when rebuildint the tranny isnt included its around 600 bucks they guy did it for me cause my dad knows him. what the case does is it spertaes the transmissiof fluid so it knows wher rto go in the tranny if it shifts hard the tranny isntgetting enough fluid, the cars auto is bad and it does downshift hard thats normal but the eratic shifting from 1 to second if u have that is not normal, and from 2-3. Just be careful the tranny is weak. BEst advice iis too also get a transmission coolant that cools the fluid, u need any more iam here i feel u.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I asked this question myself, but this is normal operation for the auto mx6. Strange isn't it? The car thucks between 1st and 2nd and drops from 4th to third on high speeds. The mx6 auto is not as weak as others say it is. The track record of the Probe ATX has been confused with that of the MX6. On the other hand I'd say it's best not to push it and to get your transmission flushed and the oil changed every year. It's a small price to pay next to a new tranny or a rebuild. Don't worry enjoy your six. As for the vibrations start by inspecting the tires and make sure that the tire pressure between all the tires are equal. The MX6 is very sensitive to imbalances between the wheels. I've had this same exact problem at the same exact speed. It turns out the left tire was over inflated. DO NOT overinflate your tires they severely degrade the quality of the MX6's ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

hi guys

thanks for the help, really appreciate all the feedback and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts