Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
my battery took a [shizzle] on me

hey, i own a 1988 mazda 626 and a couple days ago i bought a new battery cuz my old one was dead. i bought a [shizzle]ty $30 one that i later found out has a hard time starting up in the cold. i have jumped this battery atleast 5 times in the the 2 days i have had it. today i was at my friends house and it wouldnt start so i jumped it like usual and measured it at about 14 volts. i left and about after 5 miles i stalled my car while trying to grab something in the back seat. i went to start it and it wouldnt start so i had a passerby jumpstart me again. i was just curious if anybody knew whether or not this problem was casused by my [shizzle]ty battery or a possibly my alternator is broken. any advice is appreciated...thanks

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
if the alternator works fine your battery should read between 14 and 14.5V while the engine is running.

Two choices:
1) your battery is really crap ... change it.
2) The connection to your alternator is bad or your alternator is going bad.

Try fully charging your current battery or take it to any part store for a test.
Then if the battery is good you know it is wether the connection to the alternator or a bad alternator.

One thing to check as well would be your ground.

Peace
NSXR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts