Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know why my car heats up, and then something weird I noticed today, when the car is idle and I press the brake pedal, the temperature gauge goes down and also the lights from inside go dimmer, its like the car looses power or something. It started doing that today, heating up, loosing energy, then there is a big nocking inside the engine I some valves are bad....I dont know what to do guys but tomorrow Im changing the thermostat and doing a diagnostic to my car cause its giving me hell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My MX-6 LS started overheating a few months ago, I recommend checking the thermostat and water pump, hope this helps!

·
Registered
483 Posts
avoiding water pump problems

well, the best thing to do in the future to help your water pump(if this is the problem) is to replace the antifreeze every winter.

good luck,

anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Guys, thanx for your help, but u wont believe me, the only problem was the TPS(throttle position sensor) and also the battery was bad already, now Im doing a tune up and putting aditives to the engine, Im gonna clean up the dirty oil and put in engine restore and something to quiet those noisy valve lifters, I have another Question, in the MX-6 are the lifters hidraulic or mechanical?? cause the mechanic asked me that and Im not really sure...
Ones again thanx for ur help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anti-freeze is leaking from my mx6 recently, I took it to the mechanic and he said its the water pump' seal that is causing the problem. He showed to me the drippings. How much is the water pump and labor? He said 60++ for pump and 4 hours labor. Is that reasonable? I heard that once you change your water pump, you ought to change the timing belt too because there might be some problem if you dont do so. Is that right? Oh yeah.. my baby is 4 cycs, 93', 130,000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey newbie, Im not sure how much is the water pump, but u can check out at carparts.com, Im pretty sure u can get an Idea of how much it costs, and for the labor Im not sure, but It shouldnt be a big problem since ur car is a 4 cyl. try another mechanics..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car heats up....

Hi all,
I just had my 93 6-cylinder heating up and I changed the thermostat first cuz it's cheap! That didn't do it so I went at the water pump myself. I paid like $80 I think for it. It took me like two and a half days to do the friggin thing and it was not fun.

You have to take the covers off the timing belt, remove the timing belt, drive belt, main crank pulley...all that crap, just to get to the friggin thing. Then you have to realign all the serpentine pulleys so you won't be all out of time when you put it back together.

You would be silly not to replace all the belts because you WON'T EVER want to get in there again!

Good news is, I have all new belts and my car doesn't overheat. Don't know much about this stuff, I just grabbed the Haynes manual and had at it. Maybe I did it the hard way, I dunno. Doesn't seem like it though.

All that's left now is a lumpy idle, then she's cherry under the hood. Time for a mod after that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts