Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was fine 1 day and then the next I started it and it acted like it was almost out of gas. While its running its fine until you press on the gas and then it seems like its trying to die. Has a little bit of a sulfer smell. When you try and drive it, it will go for a minute and then it does not want to go anymore. When we replaced my distributor it was acting very similiar until we got the timing ajusted just right. We tried ajusting the timing and it does not help. Can anyone please help???? Any suggestions at all????

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Um, I dont know a whole lot about maintenance but I will try to help you out here. It could be your fuel injectors are dirty, try running some injector cleaner through your system, see if that helps. How is your fuel filter, or maybe your spark plugs and wires. I had a similar problem to that, and when I took it to the shop to get fixed they were gonna replace the disty cap and rotor and plugs and wires and see if that helped. I had them just replace disty cap and rotor and that solved my problems.

I would try the smaller cheaper things first and then go from there, if anyone else has any input, fire away, becuase I'm not too familair with auto repair yet.

-Bryce

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
rollbott said:
Car was fine 1 day and then the next I started it and it acted like it was almost out of gas. While its running its fine until you press on the gas and then it seems like its trying to die. Has a little bit of a sulfer smell. When you try and drive it, it will go for a minute and then it does not want to go anymore. When we replaced my distributor it was acting very similiar until we got the timing ajusted just right. We tried ajusting the timing and it does not help. Can anyone please help???? Any suggestions at all????
Start with the easy stuff. injector cleaner. Try adding a fuel pressure gauge to be sure your fuel pump is supplying enough fuel and isn't dead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

I have already replaced my rotor and my plug wires. My plugs are fine, but I will try and replace the disty cap tonight. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
u didnt leave the ten and gnd pins crossed after you timed it did you? otherwise.... do like previously stated.....

G

·
If your car has a k miles it could have something to do with the O2 sensors. Did you pull the codes? A bad sensor reduces the performance, gas milage and gives that smell that you mencioned due to faulty feedbak to the ECU. However usualy 9 out of 10 times they go bad, it has something to do with another problem. Bad catalitic converters can cause O2s to go bad due to the excessive heat on the exaust. Again, if the catalitic is bad you might have some other exaust problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

We have replaced the spark plugs and gutted the catalitic and it is running much better now. However, it seems like it has a clog of some type. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My car has recently been doing the same thing! When I am on the freeway, and step on the gas to accelerate, the car just does not want to go anywhere. The engine will just rev like crazy and then when I put the car in neutral and step on the gas, then put it in gear, it will then give power to the wheels for acceleration.

It also happens when I am just driving along at about 65mph. The car acts as though the fuel stops being delivered for a couple of seconds. I have to pump on the gas pedal while in neutral to get the car to act right.

My thought was the fuel pump. And just this Sunday, I went to start my car and warm it up, when after 10 minutes of idling, the car just shut-off. Again, as if no fuel was being delivered, or if the disty just took a crap on me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It would be just perfect if you told us WHAT MOTOR your car has.

I'll just ASSUME it's a 2.0L because I had this problem on my 97 Probe 2.0L.

Fuel Pump Going bad?
TPS Going Bad?
MAF Needs cleaning/replacing?

These are the 3 top things you need to look out for. All 3 on their own will cause this problem and all 3 have caused me problems in the past.

Cleaning your MAF with brake cleaner is the #1 best and easiest solution 95% of the time. If that doesn't fix it, a fuel pressure test and a TPS voltage test should be your next things to do.

Be sure not to drive your car. All 3 of these problems can cause you to run extremely lean and may cause a blown motor, blown head gasket, burnt or melted valves/pistons.

·
Banned
67 Posts
NOahFeX is right on it. The V6 and the I4 both are very freakin reliant on the MAF and TPS. Heres something that'll blow your mind, though. With either engine, try disconnecting either the TPS or the MAF (only one). Start the car. You will immediately get an ECU code (no duh, mazda). Ignore it, obviously, and give the car a spin. Take it out for 5-7 minutes, freely use the RPM range making sure theres power where power outta be. One of the great things about ECU based cars is that in the absense of information, the computer has "default" information that it inserts in the absense of information. anywho, test one, then swap and test the other. If neither make a positive difference, then Im stumped. On my KL03, it was the TPS (so stinkin common!) that was causing poor mileage, lean fuel, etc -- to the point that the engine started surging -- it would literally get confused and run way rich all of the sudden. After unplugging the TPS -- all problems disappeared, and I drove the car almost 10,000 miles before replacing. You'll find its a dealer-only part, and will run you nearly $200 USD. I tried everything in the world, even costly ZEP-Elec contact cleaner to no avail. My only guess is that heat caused the sensor to fail.

Legend:
TPS- Throttle Position Sensor - Round, Black Object located on the throttle body at the end of the intake manifold.
MAF- Mass AirFlow Sensor - the only part of the air cleaner assembly with a wire connected (this product is flawed by design, but lets just leave it alone for all intensive purposes)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do have the 2.0

I will try the suggested fixes. If I sprayed carb cleaner, or intake cleaner in the throttle body, would this be enough the start the car... if in fact the fuel pump is out?

This method works with old school cars with carbs!

Is there any other way to check the TPS? I bought a new MAF about a year ago, but recently (10 months ago) when my disty went out, I got mad at the car, opened the hood and proceeded to whack everything with my wrench - Including the MAF, by mistake. The housing is cracked, but there does not appear to be any other damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Thanks again for all of the advice. I am just going to take the car to the dealer in a few days and let them tell me what is wrong with it. I will let you guys know what they come up with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Twenty bucks says it needs valve cover gaskets!

I did my VCG's, my plugs, and my wires all at the same time and the problem completely went away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally know what is wrong!

I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the distributor and it runs fine. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Re: I finally know what is wrong!

rollbott said:
I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the distributor and it runs fine. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
AAAAA HA!!!! I was right, the n00b with little knowledge ownd u all :).

-Bryce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts