Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, could someone tell me why my car is so slow!!! I have a '93 4 banger, stock with 130K miles on it...I know they don't come with all that horsepower but why is my car still so slow...seems to me that this car takes all day to accelerate...especially starting from a standstill it seems like it takes so long to get going...even if I try to floor it...and from 1st to 2nd there is no punch to the car at all...seems like it has no power!!! trust me it could be me...because when it gets going it does go...and sometimes it feels better than others...I need help...I know there are add-ons and stuff i could do to it...but can anyone gimme any suggestions as to why my car seems so slow....stock...I have done the maintenance stuff...change the plugs and wires etc....could this be a weak clutch..what? where is the power gone???!!! any suggestions would be good!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
unless its slipping it shouldn't be the clutch. maybe you have a clogged cat or something restricting your exhaust. could be a number of things. good start by doing plugs and wires. are the plugs gapped correctly? don't mean to offend but sometimes it simple things.

try running some chevron techron fuel injector cleaner through it. maybe clean the MAF or decarbon the engine. these can be read in great detail at probetalk.com

hope this helps

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Surf,
thanks for the reply...any help is appreciated...I will check the plugs to se if they are gapped correctly...and will see about doing the CAT...etc...

·
Registered
242 Posts
What up fellow Atl. MX 6! Yeah I have the exact same car u drive so its good to know that someone other than myself live down here who's interested in gettin the most performance for their MX 6! SurfStar is rite about everything to fix ur ride! Just get all the basic stuff fixed and you shouldn't have a prob. Now as for the bolt on stuff for our cars, we don't have the luxury of checking out the buffet and picking it off because not many brands have stuff for our cars! I managed to hook my ride a little bit and plan to continue to do so! So after you get ur problem fixed, just give me or any of the other 6'ers a holla 'bout any other questions for ur 6!:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
at least you don't have the atx. If you did you'd really have no power.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dude im about 80% sure that its your plug wires, get some ngk wires and it should fix it. if your smelling a wierd oder from you car then its probally it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ATX person here, I do not think my 6 is slow. It is stock, but I keep it all clean and tuned up. I spank civics and Eclipse GS's.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Anyways, back to the original topic, it might not just be lack of power, it could be a restriction of some sort. when pulling your plugs, check to see if they are fouled or odd colored. while theyre out, check your compression. with 130K, its very possible that youre rings/seats/gasket, etc. could be nearing the end of its life. if everything checks out, check for restrictions. start with wheels by jacking up the car and spinning them. check your cat by looking at the sun through it or shining a light into the entry side. if you havent replaced your belts in a while, you could do that now. accessory pullies should spin freely by hand and should spin smoothly. next, (even though spark timing is controlled by the PCM) check the timing. there are quite a few ways it can be thrown off. if you havent, replace your O2 sensor, check levels, check for leaks, etc. heres one... have you replaced your PCV valve? what about the fuel filter?i can keep on goin on but lets start with that. well go from there...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks to everyone for the replies...I appreciate the help...thanks Stage for the comprehensive check...I have to admit that I read the manual and as much information I can here and on PT, but I am not all that mechanically inclined...I will take it to a shop for a check out and a comprehensive tune-up maybe that will help...I will try to include as many things as you guys have mentioned here...by the way Stage i do think that maybe rings etc may need changing...I will get some NGK wires and all that and when done I will give an update...Thanks again

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yo, also of course check your air filter, maybe get a K&N filter. Maybe along with the new plugs and wires, get a new distributor cap, they aren't too expensive, Bosch is a good one. Maybe have them check your distributor and rotor and ignition coil and alternator.What does the antifreeze look like? Maybe you can change taht too, of course that wont do much but it can't harm anything. Maybe you should replace your fuel pump too.... That can play a big big part in it, esp hesitation sluggish starts... and clean your fuel tank too when you change the fuel pump. Like the other MX6'ers have said, try cleaning out your injectors, and putting in a fuel injection cleaner in your tank as well. Maybe even an oil treatment or get a semi-synthetic oil change. Check your tire pressure too. :) And get rid of any junk from your trunk! (hey that rhymes).....

Alright, hope that helps..... LaTeR.....

:eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would suggest against a K&N Filter cone unless you go cold air. A drop in filter works much better with our stock Cold Intakes. NGK Plugs & wires made a big difference in my 4-cyl but not in my friends 6 cyl.
Injector cleaner worked well too in mine...
MX-6's in general don't take well to simple mods, in otherwords don't expect huge gains from an intake or whatever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts