Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was driving on the 401 to Toronto today and my car just shut off on me!! twice!! Dave (another guy on this board) tells me it's my distributor...do you guys agree?? any other possibilities??? my engine light has been coming on for the last couple months when I'm on the highway but I've been neglecting to get that checked out...is there anyway those oxygen sensors could **** things up??? any help would be appreciated! thanks guys!! I really don't like my car shutting off on me at high speeds!! thanks! later!

·
Registered
108 Posts
sounds like that ignitor/distributer problem. what year is your LS?
did you experience any weird engine performance problems beforehand?

cheers,

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Same thing happened to me. It was the igniter/coil problem.
I did a search and found lots on it when it happened to me.

Good luck.
Claeren.

·
Registered
212 Posts
definently the distributor problem.my car worked fine till one day in a dairy queen drive thru it just died and wouldn't start again.got lucky and found a new distributor at the dealer for 475 cdn.,put it in myself in less than an hour.

·
Registered
100 Posts
this kind of thing happened to me. I changed the dist. cap and rotor, plugs and wires, and one oxy. sensor was bad. don't go through the dealer, they wanted like over $200 for an oxy sensor, and I got one at autozone for about $60. anyway, try that first.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yip. Sounds like distributor problem.
mici

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the distributor easy to install?? cuz if I could do it myself it'd save me some money! thanks, later

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey...Mazda's gonna order me an igniter and coil...is there a specific one I should make sure they order? I don't want them ordering the same one I already had right? Would a 95 and up be okay??

G

·
0 Posts
i have somethimg similar

I have a '94 626 LX with 125k miles, and something similar happened to me. 2 months ago, I was pushing the car hard up a mountain road and the engine quit. The tach dropped to 0 and the car lost all power. It started right up again when I tried. Yesterday, while racing in an autocross, it happened twice more. The first time it started again, and the second time, my car was dead. Someone there with experience with this engine told me about the problem with the coil. We pulled the whole distributor, and we're going to get it checked and most likely replaced.

B

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem with mine stalling, luckily it happened in the driveway twice, then it wouldn't start back up.

The problem was an ignition module that happenes to be connected to the distributor permanently! $$$$$

You have to get the whole deal replaced...distributer and all, if that's your problem.

Hope it helps!

-burn

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys...I ended up getting my igniter and coil changed..so far, so good! let's hope it stays this way!

G

·
0 Posts
Well, we got the brand new distributor put on and got the timing to the required 12 degrees BTDC, but we ripped the spark plug wires apart from the mounts, and had to dig in there with needlenose pliers to get them out. The new wires went in great, and now my car runs just like it did before this all happened! Just warning everyone that those wires can come apart and need to be replaced if you take them out the wrong way!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts