Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pipe from the resonator to the muffler broke....It was damn loud. It was sorta cool sounding at first, but it droned a lot during cruise and drove me bonkers. It cost me $220 to fix the damn thing too :(. They even gave me more bad news, my catalytic converter is clogging up. They said in the near future it'll have to be replaced...:(:(

But after fixing the exhaust system (they fixed some other leaks too), I realised that these cars are quite quiet. I was amazed. WOW.

I guess a Random Tech converter is calling my name....ouch another $200.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Actually $200 is a bit steep for a random tech converter. Besides, if you just replaced the exhaust with a stock unit. Why would you need a high perf cat? You can pick up a universal stock unit for like $70.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh...

well to waste money I suppose. I thought it would help.

I thought the stock exhaust system was the best thing for N/A cars. I've heard everyone say that the pacesetter one sucks. I would have liked to have bought the HKS turbo 626 catback instead, but it only works for turbo cars and the funny thing would that it was like $360.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well the turbo exhaust will fit. The problem is that will drastically reduce backpressure, which N/A engines need for low end torque.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makes sense being the turbo produces backpressure. Doesn't the HKS have dual outlet? I wonder if you could just plug one of the outlets. I'm not going to do this, I spent too much already. I was just curious if it would work or help.

G

·
Well, certain exausts aren't good for the NA, but here's what I did, and it did improve the performance a bit. I had the shop remove everything after the cat, and went to 2&1/4 pipe through a Magniflow exhaust. You should leave a decent Cat for the backpressure, but the magniflow and the larger pipe give it a more "Tamed beast" sound, not one of those "Civic/pissed off bumble bee" sounds.

Breezy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts