Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since i baught the '6 the sunroof has gone through mild stages of what i call "not getting over itself", in which the rear of the panel did not pop up properly, requireing me to assist it with my hand whilst pushing the button.

cleaning the rails seemed to allevieate this problem only mildly, as it worked yes, but the problem occurred again.

This is an example of the problem i am describing.
YouTube - MX6 Sunroof Not working
Although that video was made when it was in working order, you get the idea.

The problem is obviously that there is too much work for the motor to do the job, this may be caused by poor lubrication, or a worn or dirty motor. since i concider myself pretty good with electric motors, i decided to find the motor and clean it out or replace it.

The sunroof panel is held on by 4 nuts, to access these you will need to pull the headliner off. To pull the headliner off, open the sunroof a bit then just pull it off, it is held in by 4 little poppy things, once you have the front ones out it might be a bit harder to pull the rears out. after theyre all out close the sunroof and undo the 4 nuts that are there.

On removing the sunroof, i had a look at it. It is made up of 2 bits of sheetmetal and 4 bolts (and the plastic ends for the headliner tihngo), It also has a fair bit of weight to it, for what it is at least, I really dont see why no one has mad a full CF or perspex one, because as far as weight goes thats a big factor in strainign the motor, as the system works much better with it removed, and cf or perspex would weigh a lot less, but i suppose also have a lot less security. It is Certainly a LOT less complicated then the bonnet or boot.

Sunroof removed:

The mechanism that opens the sunroof is a bit difficult to explain. The panel mounts onto 2 plastic mounts, these have a rail slotted into them which is curved. On the metal rail of the sunroof rack there is a simple carriage that moves along it, with a grommet the goes into the rail on the mount, this follows the curve and pushes it up as it pushes it back, with not enough effort it is psuhing it back jamming it against the back part of the well, and there is not enough power to push the panel up.

Part of the rail:

Panel mount:

While the panel is removed, go over the sides of the well wiht touch up, same with the edges of the panel:

This is what the rails looked like before cleaning:

You will need to go over this with a lot of wd 40 and a rag or tissue, get all the dirt and grime out, rather then rubbing at it back and forth try rubbing it all down to one end where you can pick it out, myne also had pine needles in it, all this gunk is adding much extra load on the already hard to do job of lifting the sunroof., you will need to spray and wipe wd40 on everything whilst moving the part that you are using, theres 11 years of crap built up in there that needs to go. After which you will need to grease it up for proper lubrication.

This is a video of the mechanism opening and closing without the panel, as you can see it is much free'er to move without all that load on it, in the video i hopes to show that you can see the main carriage on the metal rail moving back and forth which had a little knob out the side on a curved rail which acts to pop the panel up as it is pushing it backward
YouTube - MX6 sunroof mechanism

you can see when it is closest to "closed" position the mount is not moving as much but the cariage on the rail is still moving along.

Anyway. My intention was to find the motor, if i found it i could re-do the wireing, pull it apart and clean out all the crap, re wind it with new wire and probably replace the commutator, or , if it was a generic DC motor, wich was likely... then buy a new one.

Unfortunately, i couldnt find any motor. I probably should have pulled out an exploded parts diagram before i ripped this apart, it was very spur of the moment.

Anyway, clean and regreasing everything was the most i could hope for, with the panel removied i was able to clean the entire metal rails rather then just the parts that are exposed when it is opened, i was also able to clean out and re grease the plastic mechanism that was full of crap.

re mounting the sunroof is much easier then removing it, put hte mounts in the close position then put the panel on top and the 4 bolts are right there for you to re attatch the nuts inside the car.

now, you do NOT want to do these up too tightly, as it is only crap plastic tha they are holding on to, and you will warp it all if it is done too tight, if it is warped it just will not work. you can see this by doing them up tightly and noting that it will not work as opposed to not putting the nuts on at all and seeing that it works perfectly. Put the nuts on barely more then finger/thumb tight. open the sunroof, and put the headliner into its slot, then close the roof, then press on the headliner to pop the poppy thingys back in.

and.... hey presto it works:

YouTube - MX6 Sunroof working

From now on you will want to get into the habit of only opening it when the engine is running, and try and at least wipe it down once a week or so. I am going to dissassemble this again in the near future once i find out how to get to the motor, so that we can somehow find other options.

So, after this deep clean just remember:

clean with wd40 and wipe down then re grease
Have engine running when opening it
try and get to wiping it down at least once a week
If you can lighten the panel in any way, do it, dont modify the origional panel, it is made that way because it is, but if a CF, or perspex one is available then use it, an mx6 near me has a clear perspex panel that WAS factory fitted.

And dont leave it out in the rain, which i did.

And later that afternoon it stopped working again.

But today it does work.

HTH...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well now that was read and a half. Thanks. I to have to give my sun roof some help to get it going. It worked wen I first got it but it slowly gets worse.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good read:tup: It's just one more project on the endless to do list.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Id have thought this would have gathered a lot more attention then 60 views in 2 days :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Best thing to do with the POS sunroofs on the 6 is to disable. It's stupid the way it slides over the roof instead of inside anyway. $h!tty design but hey, it's early 90's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sweet, I'll try this on mine since my sunroof doesn't close now unless I push it myself. THX.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Best thing to do with the POS sunroofs on the 6 is to disable. It's stupid the way it slides over the roof instead of inside anyway. $h!tty design but hey, it's early 90's.

That would take up a lot of head room that the car allready dosnt have enough of. Hell the only reason I can fit in my prefered sitting position is because the sun roof creates about a half inch more head room than the surrounding headliner. Might be different in non equiped cars though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its better popping up then folding in.. this way you can have it a little bit open so that the hot smelly air gets sucked out when ur driving, and it can be popped or open a little in the rain and water doesnt get into the car. Also, maintainance is easier on this mechanism. I think the pop up system is better, i just dont like HOW its done. Mazda does this on all their models with sunroofs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks mHale71! Looks like I'm going to be working on my sunroof, and your info will be invaluable.

Mine has been having trouble opening as of late, and I noticed yesterday bits of a plastic friction surface from the rails had broken off. This might explain why it's having trouble opening, but no trouble closing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too did this exact same procedure about two years ago and while it helped the problem it didn't cure it and its back to the needing help stage to get opened and closed.

Also, the sun roof motor takes considerably more effort to get too. Its attached to the roof of the car immediately behind the sunroof and requires removal of the entire head liner to be reached.

-95 LS-

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too did this exact same procedure about two years ago and while it helped the problem it didn't cure it and its back to the needing help stage to get opened and closed.

Also, the sun roof motor takes considerably more effort to get too. Its attached to the roof of the car immediately behind the sunroof and requires removal of the entire head liner to be reached.

-95 LS-
2 years is a bloody long time.

Also thanks, ill definately look into it tomorro.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my sunroof was broke when i bought my mx6 i found that they had disconnected it then when i plugged it in it would open but not close insted it would just make a clicking noise. i thought i needed a new motor but made a junkyard run got another sunroof switch swapped em and it works like a charm now.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thats the sun roof motor, it warent hard to have a quick look at. Actually all i did was pull off that line r around the hole, them undo the little metal hooks and pull down the headliner. To do anything to it you would prolly Have to pull all the head line r off. Anyway im porting this from my phone so more updates soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts