Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past 8 or 9 months ive noticed an ever growing valve clatter/collapsed lifter sound. Definately sounded like it was up high in the motor but i put 12 new lifters in, cleaned out the rocker arms, checked the valve guides. Everything was AOK. the noise started when i put the motor into the car at 163k miles. i never thought it might be a block problem.
Also lately my car had been consuming 1 qt of oil per 500-750 miles and coughing blue smoke on occasional WOT runs, but not every run.

Friday night i decided that it was time for my thrice yearly spark plug change.
Cylinders 1 3 and 4 were all medium brown/tan. Just Perfect considering i run 18-21psi at times on a T3(usually around 17 though). However cylinder number 2 was black with some oil deposites, and the tip was white. This was the cylinder all that ticking racket came from... hmm

Saturday evening i decided to hang out with a bunch of the local "street racers" though i knew most of them and we're just a bunch of guys that like our cars. i raced a few cars, and my mx6 felt as it has for the past year or so...just fine, not great, not bad. but i did notice that lifter tick was getting pretty bad.

On the way to steak n shake I was like like playing around with my friends 01 GTP with intake, headers, 11psi pulley, ECU, testpipe, catback and some minor portwork([email protected]). we ran twice on the highway. first 45-110 run i put about 5 or 6 cars on it...mx6 felt surprizingly slow, but i guess that goes along the saying of the fastest runs always feel the slowest. :shrug: .

Second run. 50+ . all the way through 4th my car pulled fine. got into 5th...a second later the car just started losing power, stumbling, popping... I thought i blew an IC piping coupler off(used to happen alot with my old IC piping). So i start heading towards the exit. My car got real slow, i couldnt even maintain 90mph! as i get onto the exit ramp i look behind me and i see BILLOWS of smoke pouring from the back of my car..in my friends headlights. It looked like a bomb went off and every bit of smoke was aimed behind my car. All of a sudden they come flying up next to me yelling "You're On FIRE!!!" "You're on Fire!!!!!!" i screamed like a little girl, slammed on the brakes and pulled over at the end of the exit ramp. Popped the hood, shut the car off. opened the hood....

Oil EVERYWHERE. i mean EVERYWHERE. my dipstick was agaist my hood. Oil ran down the exhaust, caught fire. Caught some of the power steering hardline sheathing on fire, ruined a zip tie or two and no.1 plug wire was chared. My turbo was glowing AMBER, not red. AMBER like molten lava.

waited 20 mintes, let the temperature subside, checked the oil. Quart low. Put a quart in it(always carry spare in the trunk). Turned the car on. When it was turning over it sounded like it was weezing and then eventually started. Budump Budump Budump... ticking knocking clattering all sorts of fun noises:jump: . So i thought...do i tow it? Do i drive it? i figured if something was messed up it was the block, and it is severly messed up anyway. So i drove it. car sounded like a WRX with a 3" exhaust...had like 45hp. top speed of like 52 miles an hour. My friend tom in the GTP trailed me 5 or 6 miles home. My car poured a constant stream of blue smoke the entire time. still idled OK considering. still made a little bit of boost too...

Got it home, parked it. Slept.
Woke up the next morning...decided to do some elementary diagnosis. started the car up. Sounded like a helicopter. pulled number 1 injector plug. Died. Started it back up. pulled number 2 injector plug....ran the same. :idea: WEIRD this must be the problem. Pulled the plug out.. COATED in oil. So i decide to do a compression test.

138-0-117-121

well looks like i destroyed the piston. My theory is that the piston was cracked the entire time, causing the clattering noise. it got worse and worse. then under stress ~18psi @5k rpm it gave out. Fell apart or melted...im not sure i havent pulled it apart yet. But when the piston's integrity failed the turbo pressurized the crankcase, which spit the dipstick out which puked oil all over the front of the motor...which caused the mini-fire. Tom's fiance stephanie said it looked like i had a red underbody neon under the front of my car, could see the glow on the road. that along with red hot oil everywhere.

Looks like she'll be parked for the winter until i can get the new motor done. At least this one went out in glory.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Wow dude that blows. I woulda screamed like a girl to if someone told me i was on fire. Sorry to hear bout ur problem.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
As you said, atleast it went out in glory, but that still sucks that it blew

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
AMEN!!!

nicely written Eric.
now u have a reason to get the FE-dohc ready :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
seems like everyone I talk to that has blown their f2t did it in 5th, must be putting too much load on the motor making it really hot. I never boost in fifth because of this reason. I can't wait for the fe3t so I can do some higher MPH boosting.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Sorry to hear about your motor Eric.....
That oil everywhere must have sucked. I remember my breather would pop off at times and cover everything with oil. I had a rag wrapped around it to keep it from spitting oil. Hahaha
5th gear is not a boosting gear. Its an overdrive for saving gas. Ive always said it, its way too long and to hard on the motor. I'll admit that Ive full boosted in 5th. It feels really nice, smooth and pulls hard but its bad.

Sounds just like my motor, only I had 90psi in 2 cyls. It felt like a 100mph trapping car. NOT fast, smoked ALL the time and sounded like a WRX. Although I miss the sound, I never want to hear it. hahaha

So happy your keeping the car. I love your car, its very fast for whats done to it. If you put 5-6 cars on that GTP that would make your car about 106-107mph car. Thats what I want!!! I'll get there.

Good luck with the motor. I have mine ripped apart right now.:sigh:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shwine617 said:
seems like everyone I talk to that has blown their f2t did it in 5th, must be putting too much load on the motor making it really hot. I never boost in fifth because of this reason. I can't wait for the fe3t so I can do some higher MPH boosting.
Im not sure if it was the fact i was in 5th. i've had the car up to the end of 5th gear so many times ive lost track. the load is much greater in 5th, but on my car my boost numbers were fairly consistant in both 4th and 5th. the problems arose the second i got into 5th, and none of the other cylinders failed. I think the reason the motor went was due to a prior problem...the fact i was doing 120mph was just a catalyst to the end of the problem, and end of the motor

I bought a Kia FE-DOHC from a 2000 sportage with 89k miles less than a month ago for $64.99 during a half off weekend at pick 'n pull.

see! civics arent that bad!!
-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Mazdaman92 said:
Wow dude that blows. I woulda screamed like a girl to if someone told me i was on fire. Sorry to hear bout ur problem.
don't you scream like a girl anyways? :smokin:

Btw, nice pick up on the FE :tup:

since it's the lower compression version...have fun putting your turbo on it ;)

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I assume you will building up the FE first before dropping it in

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
$65 for an FE no less...hahaha

though there are some minor, yet PITA's differences....an FE is an FE :tup:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Good way to go out. I want pistons to go flying when mine does go. So much better than just not being able to start...

It would be great if you got the kia engine going, but im stuck on the fact its a kia.
kspec yo.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lnlogauge said:
Good way to go out. I want pistons to go flying when mine does go. So much better than just not being able to start...

It would be great if you got the kia engine going, but im stuck on the fact its a kia.
kspec yo.
Yeah im entirely content on the fact i blew it up having fun.

I actually wanted the Kia version, they're not as hard to find. this was the 2nd one ive seen in a junkyard. Im going to 100% tear this motor down.
i bought a low compression(collapsed rings) 87 626 Turbo engine, complete for $75 with the turbo. i can sell alot of crap from it. Im going to use that crankshaft, and that oil pan. Probably a JGtools turbo manifold, and the rest of the hard motor parts im going to try to get through Dutch. Im still shopping around for pistons, dont know who to get them through yet but they're going to be .020 over and forged. once i have all the parts, i'm having the entire rotating assembly balanced. Im sick and tired of throwing pennies at this car and working on it 3 times a week, i want to do things right, and not chance it.

So far, i bought a spare Kia motors valve cover that im polishing, a kia key chain, and a "Powered By Kia" windshield banner. I dunno if ill install the banner, but it'd be funny to those pesky lightly modded LS-1s

-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
pm me...i've got a matrix of pistons and their sizes....i can email to you tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
MazdaMiester said:
So far, i bought a spare Kia motors valve cover that im polishing, a kia key chain, and a "Powered By Kia" windshield banner. I dunno if ill install the banner, but it'd be funny to those pesky lightly modded LS-1s
It's not really powered by Kia. They just bought the motor design from Mazda. But you know that. If the redline is different don't forget to look at my custom gauges.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
well all i can say is that it serves you right for not looking into what the problem was in the first place.

As Damian would say... "1 more 6 in the local junkyard!'

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
AdderMk2 said:
well all i can say is that it serves you right for not looking into what the problem was in the first place.

:freak: He never mentioned he was going to junk it, but drop a FE in it

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AdderMk2 said:

I pretty much knew the problem was in the block, so what was i to do? it lasted a good 15,000 miles with the noise. I had diagnosed the problem as in the block, after i did a compression and leak down test, looked at the plugs, and had already replaced lifters, cleaned rocker arms and that head was fully rebuilt by my father and i. the noise could've only been one thing, and to me a bad F2t isnt the end of the world, so what? now i dont have the car to drive in the snow, good god, like i'd do that anyway. this problem has hardly inconvenienced me at all, only thing that sucks about it is my millenia's seats dont fold down in the back so hauling huge parts will have to be done with another vehicle. Darn.

the last place my car will ever be is in a junkyard. unless it gets wrecked, which i'll strip it and find another 1G mx6(preferably a DX chassis) i've rebuilt the transmission, re-rung the motor, spent countless hours to keep it on the road...to think a dead piston would send this car anywhere but back into the garage to get fixed is purely abserd.

I also dont care two shits what damian says. Look at his car.

panther. Im well aware its a mazda designed motor. I just want the kia valve cover for all the Nay sayers in the local area. Also i'd like to write down "Kia sportage" under engine model at the track...that'd be interesting :)

Hotass, PM'n now :) thanks bud

-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
the file i have is in .csv format...and for reason, it didn't hold the formatting, but it's fairly easy to read once you go through it. i just need your email address to send it to you :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
MazdaMiester said:
I also dont care two [shizzle]s what damian says. Look at his car.

-Eric
You havent heard the story 5000 times? He had a perfectly good looking car and wanted to paint the trim, but they gave him the wrong color and....

Sometimes it seems pointless to "diagnose" a car, because half the time the diagnosis is wrong and you end up replacing 10x more parts than you need to. I know everyone will argue with me on that, but whatever. I thought I was the only one hauling crap around with my seats folded down all the time...My record is 16ft trim pieces. Out the trunk, through the seats, and out the window :smokin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts